removing valve springs

Probably a stupid question....

Do you need a spring compressor to remove valve springs?

The head has been removed from the car already.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic hatch
    preferably yes. there is a special tool which has a screw driver handle and pushes the spring down and a magnet built into tool grabs the collets, slowly release the spring up. There are others, but this is a simplest one, the springs have a lot of energy behind of them so spend the money and buy a legitimate tool.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    if head has been removed you don't need the tool.
    The tool is pretty much when you want to remove it from the motor without taking out the head. There was a Youtube on how to remove the valve springs from a honda, do a search and you should find it
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla AE92

I was in a similar position but with a Toyota 4AGE head removed from the bottom end. My engine builder used the above custom made tool and G-clamp to get the springs/collets/retainers out.

Pretty much mounted the G clamp up to the valve spring with the tool in place, tightened the G-clamp to compress the spring and the opening was there to pull out the collet ect.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lawn mower
    Use a hammer and a socket :P

Lol... I tried something similar but it's so hard being at an angle. Might have to take it somewhere or try borrow a tool

Member Array
    Car:
    Lawn mower
    Silly question, but have you taken the cam/s shaft off? Also try a bigger hammer if it isn't working.. like a real big one :P

Ok... i got them out without much fuss... and my tool of choice...