Thumbs down Failed Backlight in Euro Stero Unit

The backlight failed on the stereo unit on our '03 Euro the other day. The unit works fine, you just can't see the screen.

Thinking it was a fuse I did some browsing and on US sites noted that, as a result of a class action, Honda has extended the warranty to 7 years and 105k MILES on the units in the US manufactured 03 and 04 Accords. While these are the V6 cars sold here, the units appear identical to those in the Euro.

Raising this with the dealer got the usual "Oh no, those are different - they are left hand drive cars". Yeah, like that is likely to be the difference!

Further browsing showed up this site, and I can find lots of individual references to failed backlights, but no thread. There seems to be a bit of knowledge of the problem, but no specific ongoing discussion.

Therefore, I am interested in those who have:
    - experienced this problem
    - had any luck convincing a dealer they should replace the unit
    - know if you can buy the circuit board as a Honda part as opposed to the whole unit

With enough noise we may be able to get Honda to acknowledge the problem here??

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    if it's just the screen, have you tried holding the cd/aux button down for 10sec? that can switch the screen on/off.

the common problem here was all the buttons around the screen not lighting up.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by krammer56 View Post
    The backlight failed on the stereo unit on our '03 Euro the other day. The unit works fine, you just can't see the screen.

Thinking it was a fuse I did some browsing and on US sites noted that, as a result of a class action, Honda has extended the warranty to 7 years and 105k MILES on the units in the US manufactured 03 and 04 Accords. While these are the V6 cars sold here, the units appear identical to those in the Euro.

Raising this with the dealer got the usual "Oh no, those are different - they are left hand drive cars". Yeah, like that is likely to be the difference!

Further browsing showed up this site, and I can find lots of individual references to failed backlights, but no thread. There seems to be a bit of knowledge of the problem, but no specific ongoing discussion.

- know if you can buy the circuit board as a Honda part as opposed to the whole unit

Cheers
    Go to your service centre and ask them to put forward a goodwill case to HA for supply and install of a refurbished unit at no charge.Usually HA will supply the part/s and you pay the labour.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Search a bit harder and you will find the thread. A few members have had it: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ight=backlight
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by |nick| View Post
    if it's just the screen, have you tried holding the cd/aux button down for 10sec? that can switch the screen on/off.

the common problem here was all the buttons around the screen not lighting up.
    Thanks Nick, but I already tried that - someone's home (beeps) but the lights aren't on.

Cheers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99AP1 & 06RD
    Same issue, same year. I have not attempted contacting a dealer... I did hear that a part is available. We are not the first to have the problem, but expect it might be a bit late in the mileage for me to expect a replacement for free.

Quote Originally Posted by krammer56 View Post

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    Hi mate, I had this issue 3 months ago, My car was listed as being a part of the recall / good-will fixes on their database.. it was mostly 03-04 models affected.. Honda Rockdale replaced the Head unit, which fixed all the backlight issues, no hassles either!

EXCEPT...the new unit skips CD's, as in, it jumps and won't play most of them.. don't really care as I have an Xcarlink for my iphone