Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury

Vinyl film over tail lights?

hey guys,
    i was just wondering if anyone knew the legalities of putting a vinyl film over tail lights to give it a smoked look.
    so it looks like this..

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    BB6 VTi-R
    Illegal unless it's black housing from factory.

I see quite a number of people tinting their tail lights though, I don't see much cops doing people for this unless they pull you over for something else or they're a prick. Like how a friends family member got shit for driving shirtless and wearing thongs.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I heard that thongs in Vic were legal, but not bare feet?

As for the tail lights I suppose you can take your OEM ones off and spray them with a grey transparent paint on the inside so they look smoked, but I'd get another set of OEM ones just in case you get screwed for it.

I always thought its a spray on application not a vinyl.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    you can do either. spray tint or get tinted vinyl. spray seems more common but if done correctly the vinyl should have a better finish as it will be consistent over the entire taillight

Member Array
    Car:
    I think the spray will work better
    the tail light isnt completely flat.

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    I vinyl'ed mine way back, look great and fit perfectly....... got dicked for it within 10 minutes of my first drive (and they weren't even that dark)

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by defect View Post
    I think the spray will work better
    the tail light isnt completely flat.
    depends on whether you're a noob spray painter, getting an even tint may be difficult. although most would be noobs at applying vinyl I suppose. We use a fair bit of vinyl where I work, don't think applying it to a taillight would cause too many problems as vinyl is relatively flexible

Member Array
    Car:
    forget the tinting it, just get that wing. looks awsome.. lol

Member Array
    Car:
    KSWAPPED STi -R
    Ya its illegal i got done for them on my sportivo on the second day 245$ fine.

PS: im from Syd

Best way i reckon is to do it using stocking if they have a bitch about it just rip em off right there.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    Well im in brisbane and ive seen a few ppl driving around with tinted tail lights.
    I even saw a civic driving around with them done.
    I dont know anything about spray painting them.. but my thoughts were (and my thoughts are most probably very far from the truth)... that if i put it on.. and then got done & they kicked up a stink.. then i could just rip it off... or doesnt it work like that?

& as for driving bare feet vs thongs.
    in qld you cant drive in thongs... i know a few ppl that have been done..
    and if your driving with no shoes you have to be completely bare foot. not even socks.
    i dont wear shoes while driving and they wouldnt let me do my driving test untill i took my socks off and everything was behind the seat..

but thanks for the replies

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    I doubt many if any cops would sit there and wait for you to rip off the vinyl. they would issue you a ticket, and then you would have to remove it.