Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Header Install

Header Install

how long would u guys say it would take to install aftermarket headers for a k20a?

and would u say its worth while in the process to add a hi flow cat to the setup?
    FGK catback already on if that helps

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    are you doing it yourself?, otherwise go to an exhaust shop could take from 1/2 hour to as long as it takes to get it on there.

a high flow cat can only benefit it is good to have it with the aftermarket headers, an yeah i would say it is worth it to do it and would be a nice gain, the throttle will feel smoother an will sound much deeper.

Good luck

ty for the fast reply, probably the exhaust shop how long would shops normally take to install it?

any recommended brands for cats you would suggest?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    ^^ depends on the shop if there busy may take a while, when i got my exhaust done it took from 10-3 but we told him not to rush.

its always good to leave it with them for the day an just let them call ya when its done.

havent had much experience with cats otherwise i bought a $120 hi flow cat overseas an that worked out really nice, but magnaflow have a good reputation with exhaust should hit them up.

what inch piping do you have?

header piping is going to be 2.5" so i guess gona go for a 2.5" cat, yeah at this stage probably gona go for a magnaflow or xforce cat

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    good idea mate hope it works out, if ya need any more help feel free to pm

if my race header comes with a test pipe would it be legal to use that instead of the oem cat or would i need to use the oem cat or would it be better to get a high flow cat now since i got race headers?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    RiceTrolley.
    if everything is bolt on then shouldnt be too long... hrs or so

but if welding/customer works gets involved then iit can take heaps longer.. but again depends on the workshop exp/skill etc
    凸-_-凸

Quote Originally Posted by em1rida View Post
    if my race header comes with a test pipe would it be legal to use that instead of the oem cat or would i need to use the oem cat or would it be better to get a high flow cat now since i got race headers?
    depends on the inlet and outlet diameter of the car. I would advise you use a cat of AT LEAST the same inlet and outlet diameters of the adjoining header + catback. Otherwise your restriction will limit your sports exhaust.

A self header install on a b-series took around 1.5 hours to do, due to stubborn bolts. But being a K, not sure how you would approach it from the rear.

header and catback size are 2.5" so would you say oem cat is fine or should i get either a 2.5" or 3" high flow cat?

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    I did my own k20 headers with a mehanic mate n it took 2.5 hrs. Pain in the ass cause u have no room and can't see how Manu bolts there are. Just had too feel for them. When I got them taken off I took it too a shop n it took him 1.5 hrs and alot of swearing lol

what cat are u guys using for your k20 setup? oem or a high flow cat?