Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    how high have you revved it up to before the 1000Km service, i've only pushed it to 4000rpm once or twice and i'm due for the 1000km service soon

just don't trash the euro before 1000km service. light and easy throttle, also no hardcore vtecing. lol.. 5500-6000 rpm take off.

as for running on systhetic oil on euro, this is my opinion after all this years fuking with a honda. first 20,000 km try to doing the following

1000km oil and filter change help remove all the little metal microns in the motor by bedding in the motor.

5000km oil and filter agian this time try using a mineral base oil ie somethign like castrol magnatec, mineral based oil with systhetic ester mix.

10000km doing a service again and use a semi sytehic motor oil ie penzzoil semi systheic. 10-40 w i think ..

by 15000km ur car should be ready to swap to full systheic motor oil, stick with something like shell helix ultra. should offer better protection and slight imporvement in engine performance. Try not using mobil 1 systheic on a honda, make the car engine run more noisy. being a euro u want it as quiet as possible lol..... from experience i find mobil 1 over rated and 2 expensive for wat it is.

A new systehic oil i'm trying out is caltex havoline systehic, and so far for wat u pay i think about 45 bux it pretty good vale for money. rumour has it that caltax get valvoline to manufacture on their behalf in australia and then rebage with caltax. but i don't know how true this is.
    Last edited by Vtec_inside; 04-05-2005 at 08:39 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    Quote Originally Posted by EURO MY05
    how high have you revved it up to before the 1000Km service, i've only pushed it to 4000rpm once or twice and i'm due for the 1000km service soon
    Noooo!!! Drive normally across the rev range. That doesn't mean bouncing off the limiter - just vary the revs (but don't limit to 4000rpm). I also disagree that you should be "light and easy on the throttle". If you want a slow car break it in like that. I say run it through the gears! Just make sure the car is warmed up properly.

It makes a difference how you break in the Euro - I have a healthy example and the break in helps!
    Last edited by yfin; 04-05-2005 at 08:48 PM.

another oil that i have tried and i think is good but again to expensive for wat it is. that would have to be the ever favmous redline. their product in excellent, but i think is more suited to like turbo cars ie wrx, skylines or even V8. But as for a honda, i think it not necessary. another WANK factor redline marketing team has put togther is that u can run a car on readline for about 20,000km -30000km with out having to oil change. in my view ur better off using a cheaper engine oil but change at a more reguarl interval.

Should I make the ivtec kick in though at whatever rev range it is (4500rmp is it?) during 1000km or can i still do it after 1000km service?

For the 1000km does honda give you the mineral oil or semi synth? what should i tell them to use?

Vtec_inside : do you really need to change your oil every 5000km?

Hmmm. I'm almost up to my 10,000km service. I reckon i'll just switch to 100% Synthetic. Cos serioulsy if you switch too late, there's no point switching.. well less benefits switching.

Mineral and Synthetics have different GOOD qualities. I dunno the the exact details, but obviously synthetic is probably better for the modern engine all round.

I am yet to here what the Honda guys have to say.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Comming from mechanic experience
    for the first 1000kms just give the motor heaps of load, if your easy on the throttle your not ganna bed the rings and your going to get exsessive blow by, run in the engine with alot of load and engine braking. If you break your motor in lightly, you will most likely get high oil consumption.

As for oils, wait around till the 10,000km mark before you run full synthetic. Full synthetic oil is that good it wont let the rings bed against the bore and you'll get blow gy and oil consumption problems.

I've seen motors pulled apart with hard breakins and soft breakins and the hard motors have no oil passing the rings but the people that drive like a girl in the first 5000kms of a new motor have got oil passing the rings and fuel entering the oil.

You'll get a top motor with heaps of performance.
    Last edited by tknova; 05-05-2005 at 04:25 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    SloEur
    similar thoughts on mobil 1 syn oils in honda engine too... overrated.

the first time i use the mobil 1 gold, the engine burnt abt 100ml every 1000km.. although this is well within the honda manuals' note of 1litre/1000km, it is still shockingly high compared to other oil..

i had been using castrol slx and torco, and they do not 'vapourise' so fast.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro Sport
    This is so confusing.

I don't live in Brisbane like the OP but I was told by the service rep at my Honda dealer also - synth oil isn't that good for the Euro for exactly the same reasons. And then he went on to say they use Shell Helix (which isn't that great an oil) rather than FEO.

Hmmms...

Seeing they bill you for the oil regardless unless you bring your own, what would the motive be?

I'll probably run a semi-synth in my engine after 1000km. Still deciding on which one.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by tanalasta
    This is so confusing.

I don't live in Brisbane like the OP but I was told by the service rep at my Honda dealer also - synth oil isn't that good for the Euro for exactly the same reasons. And then he went on to say they use Shell Helix (which isn't that great an oil) rather than FEO.

Hmmms...

Seeing they bill you for the oil regardless unless you bring your own, what would the motive be?

I'll probably run a semi-synth in my engine after 1000km. Still deciding on which one.
    That's because they charge you $40 for oil that costs only $25 to buy at kmart! Plus, they use the same oil for all the cars that they service there. I wouldn't be surprised if they use that same Shell oil for an old beater with a loose tolerance engine and for a new i-vtec engine.

The reason why you don't use full synthetic on a new engine is because it protects too well. It's so slippery that there is not enough wear. Since there is not enough wear, the parts won't run in properly.

My dealer used 10w-40 Magnatec mineral oil and charged $47 for the oil they used. Now I bring my own oil and get my $47 back plus what is left over.

If you want FEO, you just tell them that you are bringing your own oil and confirm the cost of service (should be minus the cost of their oil). Then before you bring your car to service, you go to their parts department and buy a bottle of FEO for $30 and leave that on the front seat.
    Last edited by aaronng; 09-06-2006 at 11:57 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Euro
    After reading the previous posts .. whats the verdict?
    is it ok to use full syntethic oil if the car is under 10000 kms??
    i'm also due to have 10k service next month, and if its ok with full syntethic oil, maybe i'll just bring my own oil.

another thing that i want to ask (sorry to be offtopic), do you guys service ur euros every 5000kms or 10000kms?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord Euro Sport
    I think it depends on the type of oil you use in your car and how you drive it. If you cold start and then do short trips only or use mineral oil then 5000km.

A full synthetic should last 10000km with regular driving.