Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DC5R - To intake manifold or not to intake manifold?

Hey all,

Ive done some searching on here regarding intake manifolds, but most of the info seems to be on b-series engines. I want to know whether its worth me upgrading the IM on my car, or if id be better off spending the money elsewhere. The car currently has AEM CAI, and will soon be getting headers/exhaust, k-pro tune, and maybe some mild cams.

I was going to get the RBC, but then read some stuff saying the Skunk2 Pro IM outperforms it. Either way theyre both better than the stock DC5R IM, but are they worthwhile on a street-driven K20a? I also read that upgrading is only worthwhile on high hp engines. Is this true?

Any help would be great. Cheers.
    Wanted to Buy: Any aftermarket parts for DC5 Integra. PM me.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    if you are gonan get krpo, definately upgrade the IM!

To which one though?

And in the time between me getting the IM and the K-pro, will i see/feel any difference? Or only once its tuned?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    better when its tuned..... im gonna get the rbcm , its cheap and yeah.. meh.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuci View Post
    Hey all,

Ive done some searching on here regarding intake manifolds, but most of the info seems to be on b-series engines. I want to know whether its worth me upgrading the IM on my car, or if id be better off spending the money elsewhere. The car currently has AEM CAI, and will soon be getting headers/exhaust, k-pro tune, and maybe some mild cams.

I was going to get the RBC, but then read some stuff saying the Skunk2 Pro IM outperforms it. Either way theyre both better than the stock DC5R IM, but are they worthwhile on a street-driven K20a? I also read that upgrading is only worthwhile on high hp engines. Is this true?

Any help would be great. Cheers.
    You will definately notice an improvement with a RBC IM, further gains are to be achieved if you go for the RRC or RSP intake manifold found in the FD2R and FN2R, as they have a much higher flow capacity.
    You may lose a little low end power & torque, but definately a big improvement in the higher rpm rev range , once you get your kpro ecu, you should be able to get your power curve tuned to a more flatter looking curve more better driveability

And what about the skunk2 pro series IM? From what I've read it is based on the rbc, but with slightly larger runners and a slightly larger port. And apparently makes power and torque over and above the oem rbc, both in the mid and high rpm range? can anyone verify this?

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Integra DC5 type-S
    DC5 intake manifold = search search search

Options:

Just to give you a idea..

RRC>Skunk2>RBC>PRC>PRB
    15hp>10hp>5hp>3hp>stock (From the perspective of a DC5S)(TOP end gains)
    $800?-$500ish-$300-$200-$0 (estimate)

^^ un-tuned. With a tune you would see more of a gain as your A/F will be refined.
    Don't absolutely need a tune but, straight away.

So yes Skunk2>RBC but you'll be spending more. In terms of the best, RRC = endgame

disagree with ANY upgraded intake manifold......for ANY power setup. Mild to medium to heavy boost. Just leave the standard manifold and perhaps slightly massage the inlet ( TB).

Why do u say that Bennjamin?

I have done research and some support what lowiez is saying, which I think makes perfect sense. More flow should = more power and torque. But I have also read some stuff that supports what bennjamin is saying, and that upgrading the IM isn't really worthwhile unless it's boosted. And the two theories contradict eachother so they can't both be right can they.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Well it is not the best value for money modification to your car, you don't really need to change your intake manifold unless your doing head work to your engine, but since prices have dropped for RRC IM's it has become popular and more available. As benjamin said, you could just port match the throttle body inlet to your IM

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    i have a skunk2 IM and im very happy with it. Its affordable so it can be a cheap but affective mod. Ended up getting some nice power from it along with a bigger tb. If ur going to upgrade the tb, stay away from the skunk2 cos apparently it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuci View Post
    Why do u say that Bennjamin?

I have done research and some support what lowiez is saying, which I think makes perfect sense. More flow should = more power and torque. But I have also read some stuff that supports what bennjamin is saying, and that upgrading the IM isn't really worthwhile unless it's boosted. And the two theories contradict eachother so they can't both be right can they.

Research everything you can.
    But real time numbers don't lie. Speaking with a few tuners / builders here and overseas , for all BUT the biggest applications - the standard inlet manifold on your car is fine.

I also have personally have installed IM 's on a few cars including a euro and a type s - no real benefit and most often changed back to standard. This is on engines with the usual intake /exhaust mods.

Trust me - you are wasting your time and
    money. Get a mod that does something - a lightweight flywheel and organic clutch for example.