Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HID Kit type?

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    I know on my EG it's horrible, aim low, can't see that far ahead.

In my EK, aim low, you can still see heaps far ahead.. It could also be because they are 5000K white tends to see more far out, whereas my 6000K-10000K ones didn't give me much distance.

I understand what you are trying to say, but you must understand what I'm trying to say haha
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    3rd gen prelude
    Installing HIDs yourself on the 3rd gen, is it a hard job? I helped my friend do it on his 5th gen and it wasn't too bad, just wondering what it's like on the 3rd gen, same concept? I'm gonna buy those HIDs someone linked me too haha, been having trouble looking for ones that would suit. But yeah if anyone can let me know if it's difficult to do that'd be cool =]

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 3rd gen prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by safetycar View Post
    1. Only selfish dickheads run HID kits in halogen reflectors.
    2. 3rd gens have sealed beams. You don't replace the bulb, you replace the entire glass beam unit.

Point 2 only refers to the stock lights. Maybe you already replaced the sealed units with regular halogen replacements (original ones should be well dead by now)? If so then you just need to buy a kit for whatever bulbs your replacements use (probably H4's), however don't forget point 1. Running HID's in halogen reflectors means no proper cut off, so you get glare going everywhere, which means you either piss off other drivers or aim them down at such an angle that you lose distance. Probably the linked kit is using halogen projectors, however it should be much better than reflectors. Other option is to fit lights from something else. Seen some nice conversions with twin projectors.
    3rd gens do not have sealed beams. All Aus delivered 3rd gens use H4 replacable globes. The jdm imports on the other hand do have sealed beams.

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Prelude VTi-R ATTS
    I had an AUDM 3rd gen and it definitely had sealed beams. One went and I replaced it with 2 JDM beams that I got cheap from a front cut. They were different to, so it isn't like the previous owner already fitted JDM ones.

[QUOTE=safetycar;2816141]1. Only selfish dickheads run HID kits in halogen reflectors.
    QUOTE]+1 rep

Member Array
    Car:
    '89 3rd gen prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by safetycar View Post
    I had an AUDM 3rd gen and it definitely had sealed beams. One went and I replaced it with 2 JDM beams that I got cheap from a front cut. They were different to, so it isn't like the previous owner already fitted JDM ones.
    US also got sealed beams. All AUDM's are H4 globes. Check it out on PA.

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Prelude VTi-R ATTS
    Weird. No idea what the previous owner installed in mine then. Was a long time ago, but I definitely remember them being sealed.

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    very good thread!!
    i m hving a del sol and thinking to do a HID conversion
    obviously my car has got a reflector unit
    wt should i do to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic?
    or would that make a difference if i get a pair of JDM headlights without reflectors and HID them?

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Prelude VTi-R ATTS
    Thought that the JDM headlights were just single piece? Pretty sure they still have halogen reflectors. The only way to do it properly is to do a retrofit. This involves getting HID projectors from say a Euro or S2000 and installing them in the stock light housing. ADR's would also require an auto-leveler (as long as you don't overload the boot, then you won't blind people without one) and washers. Not sure that even if you fitted all that adding HID's to a car is street legal, but at least it is safe. There is a Polish 5th gen where the owner did a retrofit and added washers.

Credit: Bartosz

for all the n00bs.

these are reflector housing headlights, HID in these type headlights will more than likely blind on-coming.
    There are some cars that come out of the factory with reflector headlights with HID but I would assume the manufacturers have gone to great lengths to engineer those reflector housings to be able to be used with HID safely. the 1st car that comes to mind with reflector HID is the latest model Subaru Forester.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headlight_reflec&#11.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	15927

Name:	yamaha_fz16_headl&#.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	15928

Name:	img1419..jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	15929

these are projector headlights.......
    this is what everyone should be using if they want to install HIDs

Name:	48034to..jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	15930

Name:	HI-II_projector_h&#.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	15931

Name:	hid-ref-pro-comp&#97.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	15932

someone asking about installing HID's into the del sol saying JDM blah, blah, blah, etc.

del sol's don't have any projectors. and you just can't remove the reflectors. its the type of headlight you have.

You must take a pair of projectors from another car and somehow use some ingenuity to get them to fit your own car. that is the proper way of installing HID's safely and legally.

please refer to this link. this person has done it properly.

http://www.nissanforums.com/l31-2002...story-56k.html

I've seen on some other HID related threads that some one was saying.......
    "my bro has 12000k HID's and he always gets high beamed, its so bright."

fact is the brightest Kelvin in 4300k. 6k, 8k, 12k are all darker.

Name:	bulbcoloreffects&#11.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	15933

don't blind oncoming traffic with your HID installation into reflector housing....

Name:	hidvshalogenvh8..jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	15934

Quote Originally Posted by dc292177917 View Post
    very good thread!!
    i m hving a del sol and thinking to do a HID conversion
    obviously my car has got a reflector unit
    wt should i do to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic?
    or would that make a difference if i get a pair of JDM headlights without reflectors and HID them?
    del sol's never came out with projector's, they are all reflectors.

so no, it won't make a difference.

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Prelude VTi-R ATTS
    They also make halogen projectors so just because lights have projectors doesn't mean that they were designed for HID's. Still halogen projectors generally produce much better output than reflectors.
    True anything above 4,300k will produce less light, but bright blue or purple lights can still be more distracting and are definitely more obvious to oncoming traffic.

As for retrofits being legal, as I said any factory car that comes with HID's also requires washers and auto-levelers and even if you fit all of that I am still not sure it is legal for a car where no model had factory HID's. Personally I don't necessarily care if something is legal or not (just as long as it is safe, practical, etc.), but others might so you don't want to give them the wrong idea. Certainly if you do it properly the results should be the same as any car that comes stock with HID's. In fact probably less blinding than a Range Rover.

As for the Del Sol. Looks like it is confirmed; the only difference with the JDM lights is that they are single piece. Still if you are going to retrofit yourself then not a bad idea to have a 2nd set of lights to work on since there is a decent chance you will screw something up. Otherwise there are people who retrofit lights as a service. Not cheap, but most of that is parts anyway so it isn't like doing it yourself will be cheap.