Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG hatch
    Hey mate.. if i were you i would go to a Honda Dealer Service Dept, get them to check out the noise (shouldnt be charged for it as you are concerned about a noise in your car that is under warranty- if it is not in repairable right-off status?) If they DONT find the fault or fix it got to another dealer and try again.... sounds stupid but some dealers differ to others, trust me! You would be silly to pay to have a faulty input shaft bearing replaced with such a new car..
    If it aint VTEC .........Fix it!!

Hi
    Ive noticed my Jazz gearbox getting noisier , and my honda dealer said to monitor it , I dont know what that means

I dont see how the Honda Magazine can have such superlatives about servicing,,,,,, and car and customer care when in reality honda dealers let you operate a car that is not mechanically right
    Last edited by NX-687; 02-09-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    mechanically right? it's just a noise, if it were in any real danger then it would be naive for a dealer to let you continue driving an unsafe/unroad worthy vehicle.
    Monitor means to monitor the problem, record any further problems and then at the next service (or prior if it worsens to the point you feel unsafe) bring it the the dealership and show them the problem (show as in take them for a spin, sit in the car with them and point out the issue), not hard, and it helps the lads in the back rather than ink on paper that says noise somewhere in engine bay.
    Why hello there

Whirring new Jazz

It looks like the gearbox problem has been happening since about 2005 , that should have been enough

time for Honda to fully sort the problem , but they havnt done that , and my whirring gearbox bearing is

getting louder , I was looking at a brand new Jazz on the showroom floor ,but its a good bet that it just

still has the inherent problem from 2005

One of the things that it could be,,,,,,, is that it just wasnt filled up right with oil , my friend at work had his brand new car 2 weeks before he checked the engine oil,,,,,, and had to add at least 1.5 litres of engine oil to get the oil up to the low mark on the dipstick .

Member Array
    Car:
    ABA-EP3, LA-EP3
    I had gearbox failing on me too. A brand new gearbox cost $3k and you may fetch it for $700 from the wreckers.

I had no warranty, so it was a costly process.

Good news , my Dealer is going to rebuild it , its got 20,000 KMs now , is the Jazz and civic gearbox the same , my boss just bought a Civic and wants to know

no, they have different gearboxes.

Thanks for the Reply
    My next question is why did my input shaft bearing get noisy at 9,000 KMS

I want to find out exactly why this happened

thanks for any help

Update
    Im really happy with it , it goes everywhere and does everything, and for the price you can put up with small things that come along , I see them all over the place there must be thousands on the roads here

Member Array
    Car:
    03 gli 325000ks
    my jazz has done it from new, got really bad, got box fixed for $900 is a lot better, but still does it ( not as bad ). i now have 145000 kms on it, and i just put up with it.

Im guessing your dealer did not fix it as you paid for it , thanks for the info , I will talk to some Honda mechanics if I can find any that may give me some clues , Im tending towards low gearbox oil as an associate had very low oil in his new car

also the bearing manufacturers say that a very large proportion of bearings are ruined or have their life greatly reduced by poor assembly

EG,,Fitting the bearings into undersize bores that can be machined out of round,,,,,,,, dropping the bearing ,,, putting the bearing in by pressing on the inner race

Dirt and Swarf in the gearbox that is not picked up by the magnet in the gearbox box ,, eg , bronze from the shift forks and aluminium are not magnetic and so are just swirled around in the oil , getting between gears and bearings and causing early problems