Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    I'm doing this because I have heard from many people steering feeling is 10x better.

I can feel the p/s pull either side at times,even through corners,the steering wheel pulls without me assisting it,it just pulls either left or right.

I want full control now,I am sick of that feeling.

I know I will miss it for tighter turning but I am sick of not having FULL control over the wheel and if it increases steering feeling,i.e U can feel the steering wheel - wheels - road connection much better,therefore U have more control.

U guys know what I'm talking about?

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    pulls without you doing anything? maybe you need better tyres or a good wheel alignment brett

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    No Vinny,an obvious example of this is,if I stop on the side of the road and prepare for a U turn,I turn the wheel a little to the right,it will pull left,U can feel the power steering just pull it the other way a bit.

I knew of this happening before but I only started to give it thought when Daniel (eg5civic) removed his and said steering felling is 10x better.(I have also heard/read the same from other's aswell).

It's not a problem,it's not dangerous or anything but it would be great if it didn't do that and I had 100% control of the wheel,just as long as it isn't too heavy.

I think what Wyn said earlier is a good to go on - It's no heavy ford or anything..

But damn,having p/s that U can control on and off with a switch,well,that's just the best of both worlds,like a tiptronic gearbox!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-VTEC View Post
    i got a custom power steering setup i made. hidden and doesn't sap anywhere near as much power from the engine as it's not belt driven
    Absolutely 110% I request a DIY on this please Sir.That is just absolutely brilliant!!

I could come over and we can do a DIY on it for the crew?

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CBR600RR, EGG
    lol. i got all the pics from when i was doing the little project. i'll try and do a write up the next time i'm not working on the car

by the way, if your really serious about getting rid of your power steering your best bet is to get a manual rack, the gearing is different. From memory you've got an ek so this may not be an option for you. you do have a few less drastic options that you can use to help you decide before you remove anything -

test drive a mates car that has deleted power steering
    remove the belt so your pump isn't running
    get some mates together to push your car around while you steer with the engine off

that should help you decide lol, plus it's not that hard to put it back if you decide you don't like it, maybe an hours work at most
    Last edited by MR-VTEC; 27-08-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Take the belt off and go for a drive - that's exactly what it will feel like once you remove all the PS components.

Very heavy, but if I can handle it, anyone can. It converts your steering inputs from position control to force control. You know when you're giving too much steering, like a go-kart - very heavy until you're asking too much slip angle of the tyre where it goes light.

I did this a few years ago to an Integra. Hacksawed off the lines at the rack and just looped them to keep oil from dripping. Didn't bother filling up the rack.

Reverse parking sucks but you get used to it. You'll wear out the grips on your steering wheel and universal joint in your steering column faster.
    I have signatures turned off

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-VTEC View Post
    lol. i got all the pics from when i was doing the little project. i'll try and do a write up the next time i'm not working on the car
    Damn.Oh well I hope it's easy to follow..I could do an easy to follow DIY with plenty of pics like my other DIY's..

Will removing the belt give me the same feeling as doing what I mentioned earlier:

"I'm going to do the trick where U cut the 2 p/s lines,fill the hoses with p/s fluid and put a fuel filter on the end"

I thought it's different?

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    had p/s removed for a while it was okay when your rolling but a pain when parking or stopped. my forearms started to get bigger from it

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    im guessing it wouldnt be too bad if you only had it on a weekend car i.e. not a daily?
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Member Array
    Car:
    05 CBR600RR, EGG
    Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Will removing the belt give me the same feeling as doing what I mentioned earlier:

"I'm going to do the trick where U cut the 2 p/s lines,fill the hoses with p/s fluid and put a fuel filter on the end"

I thought it's different?
    It's fairly similiar if not the same, some reckon by looping the line and running fluid in the rack it makes it better/ lighter but it's more for trying to prolong the life of the rack as it keeps everything lubricated. I ran it with a loop and it still felt crap but thats just my opinion remember. just remove the belt and see how you like it

Member Array
    Car:
    MkV R32
    Will be looping mine...Good DIY link I am going to use when I come around to it. http://www.civicforums.com/forums/11...-steering.html

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Thanks zel!

Sorry i didn't answer before but yes my car is an EK so I cant do the manual rack.

So the custom set up you have makes it lighter/better/easier than running fluid into the rack trick?

Just removing the belt won't give me a true indication...so no point...

Thanks so much for your help.