Member Array
    Car:
    EG4

Endless MX72 and Endless CS rotors

Would like to hear what people know about these pads and rotors.
    Can't read much Japanese, so it isn't much help for information on the rotors in particular.

I'm aware the MX72 has replaced the CC-X. What are other options that will provide similar performance to the CC-X? As far as I'm aware, they were a grippy pad that inspires you to brake hard and late, at the expense of quick rotor wear due to it's high coefficient of friction?

Which brings me to the question of the Endless Curving Slit rotor. Since there is very little english information about these rotors and google translation isn't really helping - I'm assuming it is still a cast iron rotor based on the appearance in images. Would this rotor be more durable from the abuse of carbon ceramic pads (hoping that the price is higher than others aftermarket rotors for reasons other than the brand) ?

Intended use:

EG hatch 113kw atw, 950kg or less, DC2 calipers, RBF600, stock brake lines, 40/30 prop valve (may need to double check), 195/55/15 Z1 SS.
    Some may think the brake upgrade would be overkill for a light car and not alot of power but is overkill necessarily a bad thing in this case?

It's an upgrade that I suspect may contribute to a decent improvement in lap times at Winton. I would like to try and brake later and harder at Shannons, Falken and Kitome straights.

The last setup I was using (EBC Green stuff on stock rotors) was quite average and the EBC didn't last much longer after the track session.

Kindest regards
    Michael

Hi Mate

Can't say I have used this combo before, but I too am looking into a similar setup.

I found some information that might be helpful for you:

Endless Curving Slit Front Rotors

Endless continues to improve upon its development process in the areas of rotor material composition and production methods aided by the data gathered from the experience within the street, rally and circuit conditions. Input from racing drivers has led to the design of the curving slit to maximize brake pad performance. A special heat processing maintains rotor material stability at high temperatures enabling the surface to withstand heat cracks during hard driving. The surface of the disc rotor includes strategically placed slits to maintain optimal condition of the brake pad surface, facilitating stable braking force. The curved slits are designed with width, curvature, placement, depth and angle in mind and have been thoroughly tested prior to production. Optimal braking performance has been attained under a vast majority of conditions.

Fitment: Honda DC2 98, EK9 models
    Manufacturer: Endless
    Product ID: ER507CS
    Material: FC Steel / Grey Cast Iron
    Rotor Size (mm): Same as OEM
    Rotor Type: Slotted

Endless MX72

Endless have years of experience in racing and are one of the most renown brake manufacturers in Japan. They compete in every class of racing and their Endurance EVO has won the Super Taikyu championship. Often the pad of choice for the circuit, they transfer their technology directly to the street with applications for almost every vehicle.

After many trials the number 72 brake pads were born.
    Wide braking ability is determined with the ability of the brake friction material.
    This new compound is made with small particle of Carbon and Ceramic to create the semi-metallic material MX72.

Endless also tried as much as possible to minimize dust and increase the braking force at low temperatures.
    In addition, to improve stability when braking in high-temperature, a reduction in the aggressiveness towards the rotor was achieved, so the Endless MX semi-metallic material also provides great pedal touch.

Although more expensive, they offer excellent value with very high marks right across the range of brake criteria.

Perfect for the more aggressive road user who frequents the circuit.

Fitment: Honda NA1, NA2, EK9, DC2 98, DB8 98 models
    Manufacturer: Endless
    Product ID: EP270-MX72
    Co-Efficient Friction: 0.37 ~ 0.47
    Operating Temperature: 50-700c
    Most Suitable Application: Winding Road

As far as overkill goes, personally I think this setup would be a great upgrade from stock rotors and EBC Green Stuff!

If you do go ahead with this setup, be sure to post your first impressions and thoughts.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4
    Thanks for the reply; since it is a cast iron rotor, I wonder if the durability is any better than the stock cast iron option, does it contain higher carbon content. Special heat treatment processes is just a marketing tool to me without having any extra information to back it up and it's obviously not the fault on your behalf.

But yeah will definitely try to fill in the gaps on a not so commonly discussed setup. Also how would these go in terms of street use? Am I better off keeping a separate set of rotors and pads for street use? I'm prepared to do that but if a 50 degree starting operating temp is bearable and safe and wear for both pads and rotors will be similar to any other street setup then I don't see the point in alternating for street and track.

Most aftermarket rotors you will find are cast iron. But this does not mean they are the same as the stock ones. Grey cast iron has a relatively low carbon content anyway (somewhere between 2.5-4%) and low silicon content (1-3%).

For what ever reason, they have designed and engineered the rotors to perform better than stock.

I'm unsure of operating temperatures with rotors and pads. Best bet is to just give it a go and see how they go on the street (taking into account you may have to brake earlier when cold).