Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: K24a3 dc5r

K24a3 dc5r

Hey guys,
    I bought my DC5R a few months ago off my mate. Love it. Came with a Toda cat back and Injen CAI, and that made the VTEC crossover sound like a German WW2 Stuka dive bomber. . . Well actually maybe its not as loud as a dive bomber but you get what i mean. Almost straight away I purchased Halo projector headlights off Ebay as shown.Then 2 weeks ago, on a Sunday night. Mother Nature shoved a pineapple up my arse and blew my engine. There was crazy raining and deep puddles on the Hume Hwy, where my Injen CAI sucked up too much water, which lead to hydraulic lock, which resulted in my engine blowing up. I didnt even hear a bang. Raining too hard probably. I pushed my car to the side, on the highway. No one bothered to help but the deadsh!ts would honk as they drove past. After like two hours on the road. NRMA towed my car home for free, cause I was a member of some club i didnt know i joined. Couple days later my mate comes over who's a mechanic and had a look at the engine.Checked the spark plugs and CAI and there was heaps of water Cranking it manually was hard, so he used the starter motor. Didnt work. He said something on the inside is bent. He was right in the end. After like a week of organising stuff, I opted for a k24. Days later I got it towed to my mechanic. Why K24? for starters k20's cost a LOT like 4.5K for a good one I think. And why not do something different and get a k24? Well actually it has been done but its uncommon to see a k24 dc5r. I was planning on doing it later down the track anyways. My goal is a 10 sec k24 turbo dc5r. Thats why im doing this build thread. Hopefully its interesting enough to get moved to the build forum. Its going to cost me abit under 3K. For a 09 K24a3 with like 90000km i think and another 1.5K to cover labour and a full service. My mechanics a good bloke. He said he'd check my clutch, if it had less than 60% tread left he'd tell me so I could buy a new one and he'll put it in with no extra charge. I came over today, he said the clutch was still good and he'd sell and install mugen headers and a silencer to me cause I dont have one for less than 900. He also offered me tein super street coilovers for cheap aswell. Im leaning towards doing it. And for the ecu I dont require one cause the engine internals are stock. Also had a look at my previous engine. It is F&*ked LOL. Have a look at it theres 4 major holes and the conrod is stuffed. Cant really see it though. So the next things on my list are - a 3K sound system, repray - super gloss black or dark grey gun metal and steam clean my recaros and the inside of my car cause the rain made them stink.

Oh yea and if you think its promising give me a rep point so I can sell stuff I dont need. Thanks. If your thinking wth, I dont really know much about cars to be helpful on other peoples threads. Im learning more and more about cars as im going along, sharing and documenting dramas and what I learnt along the way. That deserves atleast one point dont it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14102010176..jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	16902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14102010173..jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	16903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14102010171..jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	16904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13112010198..jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	16905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18102010184..jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	16906  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14102010172..jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	16907  
    Last edited by V8KLLR; 13-11-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Oh yea and with my old K20a my mechanic said two pistons were gone! LOL. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH CAI

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5s
    Damn sucks to hear. Can't believe no-one even bothered to help

There goes the, "filter has to be submerged", line everyone lives and swears by.

But sometimes events like these, make way for something truly special.

Interested to see the progress on the K24

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    sorri to hear wat happened, interested in seeing ur dc5r running 10's....

Quote Originally Posted by TypeS View Post

There goes the, "filter has to be submerged", line everyone lives and swears by.

But sometimes events like these, make way for something truly special.

Interested to see the progress on the K24

My mechanic told me theres a 3 second rule. If you drive over a deep enough puddles long enough it'll happen. You could here the puddles I drove through going up against the front bumper. Like how the body of a speedboat cuts through water. Thats what it sounded like.

Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    sorri to hear wat happened, interested in seeing ur dc5r running 10's....
    Cheers mate. Its a gonna long hard road ahead of me.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R
    ah damn, which part of hume man?

Quote Originally Posted by TypeS View Post

could have been submerged, parts of hume submerge half your front in water i think lol

Hume highway turning down Terminus Street. Near the Nissan dealer and Tokyo imports where it used to be. It was drenched going down Cumberland Hwy aswell. CAI was on the left hand side of my car and on the road thats the depressed side. So yea I wouldnt be surprised if it was submerged. I could hear my front bumper actually cutting the water LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    i dont think the car will run good without a proper ecu , my cousins built b20 went like balls when he used his b18c vtir ecu so might wanna change ur plans and get either the euro ecu or kpro
    just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by GSi_PSi View Post
    i dont think the car will run good without a proper ecu , my cousins built b20 went like balls when he used his b18c vtir ecu so might wanna change ur plans and get either the euro ecu or kpro
    just sayin
    Its a stock k24a3 im getting swapped in. My mechanic told me if the engine internally is stock, then I shouldnt have dramas. But if I had internal work done then I definitely need it. Maybe thats why your cousin had grief. Im definitely going to get kpro. Just later on. But if my mechanics talking shit [hopefully not cause I trust him] and it goes to hell then ill buy one straight away.

Cheers for checkin out my thread

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    Mate for one a K20 ecu is only giving fuel enough for a 2.0L you have now 2.4 , so your motoring is going to be leaning out, not to mention the difference in
    air intake , redline, etc very very dangerous running it on a k20 ecu, only reason you would run it like that is if your going somewere it to get it dyno tuned even then babying it

Thats what I was thinking before. But my mechanic says its not neccessary. I should be picking it up today. See how it goes. Hope he knows his sh!t. Not saying you don't either. Just hoping I dont need one atm.