Stock Good Year tyres on 08 Jazz

My stock Good Years on my 08 Jazz are due for replacement at the 40,000km mark. Anyone get more or less mileage on their tyres? The front ones were worn, but the rears are still good.

Does anyone also find that the tyres need very regular inflating? I find myself having to refill the air every 1-2 weeks. My other car can go 4-6 weeks without need for inflating.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for tyres? Is it worth forking out for a set of Bridgestone Turanzas? I need 175 65 R15.
    Last edited by garbage; 02-11-2010 at 02:20 PM.

lol.
    yea regular inflating sounds about right. it depends how heavy your car is travelling. i can go 4 weeks without inflating if i drive on freeways only, and with 1 passenger - me.
    i will need to inflate at least once every 2 weeks if i travel around suburbia and with >1 person in the car.

u should rotate your tyres every 10,000kms, prevents fronts 2 tyres from wearing faster than the other rear 2. even wear.
    Bridgestone turanzas - depends which one your talking about...i would highly recommend toyo tyres.
    http://toyo.com.au/Tyres.htm

much better value for money, and people have sworn by them already. i have the toyo teo plus on size 215.55.16, driven them like hell, and yet they still have low noise, lots of grip, and travel safe. for the $, i wouldnt touch bridgestones or any other tyre. also made in japan.

Treadwear 280, Traction A, Temp A
    Brilliant

Thanks for the tip on Toyo. I'll check it out.

Does a change of tyre brand reduce the amount of inflating I have to do? It's getting tedious having to inflate the tyres every second time I go to fill up the petrol. I do over inflate slightly - 36/35 psi and carry 4 passengers on weekends. Weekdays, it's just me but I do a rat run.

nope, tyre brands will never reduce the amount of inflating required, because a tyre is still a tyre.
    and for your size, u would inflate max 36.....because its not low profile, it would stick to 34/35 strictly. if u inflate them too high, u will experience uneven wear, that is, the outsides of the tyre will wear quicker than the insides of the tyre (meaning the tread level of the tyre at each inner wheel well will be higher than tread level on the outside of the tyre.) i reckon u would experience uneven wear with you pumping them up to 36 and doing rat runs.
    no need to stress over it, everyone needs to inflate their tyres every 2weeks, alot of ppl dont, which is why they get poor economy and require new tyres. most of the time they will complain that the tyres they got are bad, but they just havent inflated them period......

On the last few cars I've owned, I've been able to get away with inflating the tyres every few weeks without much loss of tyre pressure. These were larger cars though.

well, if u are really bothered by it, u may want to invest in these babies
    http://motoractive.com.au/shopping10...20Alert%20Caps
    pressure gauges tell u when to inflate.
    but no guarentee if they get stolen, because people do take even the lamest things, like normal chrome valve caps......theyre only $4.5 shesh.....

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi

Likewise on GT3s

My MY09 Jazz has the Goodyear GT3s, and after 48000km or so, they're due to be replaced soon.

The GT3s have worked pretty well. As someone in regional NSW, the options available appear to be Dunlop SP sport 01 or GT3s again.

Unless there is a major reason to get the Dunlops (like $$) I'll probably get the GT3s again. They've lasted well and haven't frightened me.

I ended up getting Yokohama A drives on mine. They were about $20 cheaper than the GT3s, which are surprisingly expensive for a Dunlop. The tyre guy said that the size of the tyres were uncommon and many people opted for 'in between' sizes.

The stock ones I find were really good - in the sense of being REALLY low noise and lots of grip. I kind of regretted changing to the ones that I am currently using - Pirelli P6. The Pirelli's are cheap - about $30 - $40 cheaper than the stock ones, which then I find it doesn't make any sense to pay $100+ more and I wanted to try something else. I guess it was a wrong move.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi

Sticker shock!

Just checked my local Goodyear place for the GT3s in 175/65R15. They didn't have a set of the right size in stock, but if they did:

$233!

FFS! it's a shopping trolley, not a sports car! I was also offered 185/60R15s for $155, but was unsure of the implications for the new car warranty and insurance.

In the end, I went to Jax and ordered a set of Pirelli P3000s in the right size for $165 each. It was a case of what's available, rather than what I wanted.

Hopefully as more GE Jazzes hit the 50K mark, the size will become more common and the price will come down. Availability in this size is a real issue in regional areas (Hunter Valley) Just as well we get a proper spare.

Anyone contemplating new tyres soon, it might be a good idea to order them well in advance.

Just on the other issue I reported about the tyres always needing weekly/biweekly inflation. I've now switched to Yokohama tyres on the front and found that this is not an issue anymore. I still have the stock Dunlop GT3s on the rears and these still lost air during the week.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi
    Just got the Pirelli P3000s fitted today. Initial impressions are that the ride is a little less harsh than the OEM Goodyears. Steering feels lighter also, so it's probably not because tehy under inflated them.

Everything else feels just the same. reasonable grip and minimal noise.

PRetty happy so far for the saving over the OEM tyres. Reserving judgement though until I try them in the wet.