Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Need your opinions - Buying my first Integra

Hey guys,

I have been looking to buy an Integra for the past few weeks, checking on carsales, gumtree, ebay, etc religiously. My budget is about $8k.

I won't be going to track the car, neither do I want to mod it. Just want it stock or unless there are some recommended upgrades.

I know NOTHING about cars, so before I plunge in, I want your opinions and just some advice.

Should I get a GSI or a VTI-R (cannot afford a Type R)? Is the Vtec worth it?

What is the difference between a 96 and a 98 VTI-R? What is all this talk about pre-facelift? And an extra airbag?

How reliable are these cars (since most I've seen have like over +200,000kms on them)?

I know someone selling a 98' VTI-R with about 130,000kms on it for ~$8, should I take it?

if serviced well they are really reliable!

get the vtir should be able to find something decent for 8k these days.

98spec looks better use the search function for this in detail, lots of threads.

and that car sounds cheap - just check logbooks for service history check over the car for any mechanical problems/accident damages

Unfortunately the guy does not have logbooks.

Go for the VTi-R especilly if you don't intend to mod it. The extra power the vtec develops up top makes it worth it. They will both drive reasonable similar in normal conditions, its just the addition of the aggressive cam lobes, which are actuated when vtec is engadged to increase torque in the upper rev range. My old girl has had a 96 vtir civic (b16a) for the last 10 years and it has over 300,000kms on it and it is still running strong. Its been very reliable, only things thats required replacement has been one of the chiped ignition keys and rear suspension arm, pivot bushings.
    Not sure on the 96-98 update, but with most Hondas a car thats been well maintained with a couple more kays would be (my pick) preferable over a scrapy example with less kms.
    8k is on the higher side for a vtir, but if its a good example its probably a fair price.

my 20c anyway..

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Hey LostyJai,

can I ask why the Integra? What is making you buy it?

If you want a very-cheap daily, that will last longer, why not a later model corolla? Not saying DC2 is a bad pick or anything, but If I were you and wanted a spacier daily, I would go Corolla.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Oh we have a 2004 Corolla Conquest (hatch) at home, and it's ok... but not really that fun to drive.

Heard the Integra was a fun car from a few mates, and vtec! =P

If you're not gonna be driving at high speeds and modding heavily (encouraging illegal activities), i don't see any difference in buying a dc2 or dc4. I drive a dc4 and it's fast enough to overtake/change lanes safely. I think <1998 is series 1 and >1998 is series 2. The only difference is ABS brakes and a driver side airbag. When i was shopping, i set the mileage to <150000 and ended up getting one that's done 100000km. Fuel won't be a problem, fairly comfortable daily.

About that dc2 you mentioned, i'd be careful if it has no logbooks. Odometer may have been wound back etc

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Integra
    AFAIK post-94 Integra GSis had a standard driver's airbag, and post 97-98 (not entirely sure) had ABS brakes instead of a sunroof.

I think the VTi-Rs had all of those features from the beginning (airbag/ABS/Sunroof), and AFAIK facelift models had dual airbags.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by LostyJai View Post
    Hey guys,

I have been looking to buy an Integra for the past few weeks, checking on carsales, gumtree, ebay, etc religiously. My budget is about $8k.

I won't be going to track the car, neither do I want to mod it. Just want it stock or unless there are some recommended upgrades.

I know NOTHING about cars, so before I plunge in, I want your opinions and just some advice.

Should I get a GSI or a VTI-R (cannot afford a Type R)? Is the Vtec worth it?

What is the difference between a 96 and a 98 VTI-R? What is all this talk about pre-facelift? And an extra airbag?

How reliable are these cars (since most I've seen have like over +200,000kms on them)?

I know someone selling a 98' VTI-R with about 130,000kms on it for ~$8, should I take it?
    Get Vti-r, not worth getting Gsi. You want the VTEC fun lol or might as well get a hyundai excel lol =p

Off the top of my head, the differences between 96 and 98 are:
    -98 is face lift rear bumper and front, meaning the front head lights and front bumper is different. the 98 rear bumper looks way better then 96.(google it)
    -98 has passenger side air bags as 96 does not
    -98 comes with Blade styled rims as 96 comes with phat fives. (not 100% on this)

There pretty reliable as long as the owner has looked after it, my previous vti-r with 220,000+km was burning abit of oil so watch out for that, to test and see if the engine is burning oil i would rev the engine in neutral with cluth out of course and hold the rev at 5.5k rpm for at least 5-10 seconds and see if theres any blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. If you see blue smoke = burning oil = engine on it way out.

Hope this helps
    Vtec4lyf

Hey Jai, here is my 20 cents input on your question! I am an owner of a 94 vti-r and I spent almost $2k plus on fixing my car. I thought the car was in a good condition at first glance but it started to give me problems after driving it for a while like overheating, leaks and steering issues. I realize that previous owner did not really take good care of the car and he only enjoyed thrashing it. I am not going to pass any judgement here but i cannot emphasize the importance of history (log books) of the car. You should also send the car for a safety check ($35) once you have decided to purchase the car. This is to make sure that you are making your purchase worthwhile and to prevent any further loss or hidden damages which will burn a bigger hole in your pocket.

All the best with the search and I hope my advice helped in making your decision.

I learnt a very expensive lesson, dirty piece of sh!t who used to be my mate sold me a repairable write off car. It had no log books but he said it was good. I believed him cause Ive known him for 5 years. Be very careful mate. Insist on a logbook, revs check and safety check or no sale.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Don't buy a car without service history. The service history ensures that the kms are genuine, and that the car won't just shit itself. I know that a lot of guys on here will have bought cars without books, but in my experience buying cars, trust nobody. Get one with service history, or don't bother. And it has to be a decent service history, too. Some people claim a full service history, but have only been getting the oil changed at Ultratune or by a "mechanic friend". Alarm bells. And if it doesn't have RWC included, forget about it.

As for the VTEC argument, I think you're better off getting a good example of a GSi if you can find one than ruling them out in in favour of a higher-km VTi. Unless you're the kind of driver who likes to rev their cars high, you won't get the benefit out of it. It's for people who like to accelerate hard at high revs, but when it comes to the low-end, both cars behave the same. VTEC cars will have been driven harder than GSi models, basically, while commanding a higher price. You're more likely to find an unmodified, well-serviced, well cared for GSi, which will be a reliable, enjoyable and cool-looking car, and will cost less than a VTi-R.

I found a 1999 Silver GSi at a dealership with full Honda dealer service history, one previous owner, and only 115,000kms for $6k. VTEC would be a nice bonus, but I'd rather have the money that it would have cost to get a Vti-R in similar mechanical condition.