Tinted taillights

Last year I bought some taillight tint film and put it over my taillights. It looked great, especially since my car is graphite, has black number plates, and dark tint (so from behind the car everything was black).

However after a couple of months it started bubbling and peeling so I had to take it off... So much for the 5 year outdoor life that they claimed it had.

I'm tempted to get some spray tint like Nightshades but I'm worried about attention from the cops (or even insurance)... With tint you can just peel it off in seconds. Plus the lights would probably cost hundreds to replace if I did have to.

Has anyone had any experience with taillight tint? What's the best way to do it?

Dont do it. My mate had tinted lights and he said they were 100% legal. Cops fined and defected him a month later. But if you must, I lightly sprayed a coat of black paint over my civics rear lights along time ago.

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    R32 Skyline
    It's a defect. If you use nightshade it will come off with alot of hard work as I have had to do it before. If you Just do a light coat or 2 and they aren't heaps noticeable then it should be ok.

hmm, I never had any hassles with the tint. It was really dark - to the point where the lights were pretty much black when off (obviously you could still see the lights when I braked, indicated, etc).

Even when I had a random drug test done and a cop was standing behind my car for 5 minutes, he still never said a word.

Copper probably didnt really know stuff about cars, or he couldnt be stuffed doing paperwork. But if one that knows what his doing pulls you over and is in a particular nasty mood, you'll cop it. And he im with white_ep3_civic, do a light coat over your tail lights.

Fair enough, I guess it's probably not worth the hassle in the long run...

I just wish there was something I could do to make the back of the car look more interesting It's the one thing I don't like about the CL9

Yea I know what you mean got the same problem on all cars, pretty much everything is a defect nowadays. Get a spoiler or a new rear bumper? Those things have a lower chance of you getting into trouble. With spraying the tailights even though they are completely visible cops say its a dangerous modification to the brake light and indicators.

Pm me if I was helpful

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '06 JDM Euro
    I had mine sprayed with like a smoky clearcoat, looks awesome, i've had it for 2 years now and the cops have never stopped me or anything, its not completly black, a Mate of mine had his done as the same place, but asked for a darker tint than mine, and got defected a month later, as long as you can still see some red on the taillights then I dont think there is a problem

before and after shots attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000437noplater.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	17651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo012 edit.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	17652  
    2006 Euro JDM : 18' Concave Concept CC02 Rims, Coilovers, Summit Strut Bar, Voltage Stabiliser, Camber Kit, Slotted Disks, LED Lights, Phillips 6000k HID Kit, Sports Grill with CL7 Badges

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Yeah, you can get that in a spraycan from autobarns for like $15.
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    03 CL9 Euro
    you only need around 2 coats and 1 clear coat and it should be fine.
    Ppl who normally get defected are mainly the cars that are targeted e.g Evo's, STI, skylines etc
    vTeK 4-Life!
    FOR SALE: CL9

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    Maybe try tint wrap like LAMIN X