Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R

HID interference with FM radio

Hi guys, this is an age old question and I've nearly ready every page I could find on google regarding how to reduce the FM interference (static) when HID are turned on but not one of them has come up with an answer.

Is anyone else on OH experiencing this problem and what have you done to lessen the interference.

Basically what's I've come to understand is that the cheap china hid ballasts (slim) are emitting a frequency which can be picked up by my FM radio as static and it's over riding my radio reception.

It got nothing to do with wiring or bad ground so how do you shield interference, what material are those X-ray aprons made of?
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    X-ray aprons are made of lead. That's an idea for you.

Might work.. i don't know.

I got the same problem... Didn't happened before, just after I changed my deck.. Not sure what was causing it..

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    put a bigger fuse

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post
    put a bigger fuse
    What's the fuse got to do with it? My cd player is fine when Im not using the radio.
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

u need to connect your hid direct to the battery, but ofcourse using a new 12v relay and right fuse for ur hids, then use the original headlight wiring of your car to switch the relay ON which is connected direct to the battery.. hope this helps, this is the way i connected my hids and i never had a problem of any noise interference..

test it first, try to connect the hids direct to the battery using a good qulality wire, see if works on your car, before buying all the wires, relay n fuse. but please be careful u dont wanna shorts any wiring of your car, or maybe see a license auto electrician to do it for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    how do you know its not a bad ground?
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    how do you know its not a bad ground?
    Reviving an old thread,

Answer to above is because the FM interference is affecting my iPod fm radio as well and that is in no way connected to the car via wires.

The interference is in the air waves.