Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Integra

Electrics are dying!!

Hey guys and girls,

My integra is suffering from two electrical problems: The horn doesn't work, and the 12v outlet is intermittent.

With the horn, I press the button, horn doesn't beep. I hear no clicking or anything else, except for me pressing the button. What's the cause/solution?

With the 12v outlet, it won't charge my phone (HTC Desire Z). I've tried using two different car chargers, as well as the USB charging outlet in my FM transmitter (which actually works in the outlet), and while the charger recognises the power (it lights up) my phone won't notice it's plugged in (it shouldn't be the phone's problem, as it's charging on my computer as we speak).

What is my problem? What can I do to fix it, and how much?
    Thank you

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTi-S
    Hi there.

Im guessing the problem with your horn could be a blown fuse. Had a that problem in a mates car. Kept pressing and no sound. It could just be that the fuse has blown. I would check the fuse box in the cabin and under the bonnet.
    Or the connection of the plug on the horn itself if it has been disconnected.
    Was the horn working before?

On your 12v outlet
    Does your FM transmitter always work when plugged in? Or is it intermittent as well?

Do you have a cigarette lighter plug which you can test on. This can save you on taking out the outlet.
    Does the phone charger fit nicely in the socket or is it kind of loose?

Hope that can help you a bit.
    Jazz/Fit GD3

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by marz21 View Post
    Was the horn working before?
    Yes it was, but I recently had accident damage (to the REAR bumper), and the panel beaters fixed my driver door actuator at the same time, so maybe when they fixed the actuator, they did something to my horn.

Quote Originally Posted by marz21 View Post
    On your 12v outlet
    Does your FM transmitter always work when plugged in? Or is it intermittent as well?

Do you have a cigarette lighter plug which you can test on. This can save you on taking out the outlet.
    Does the phone charger fit nicely in the socket or is it kind of loose?

Hope that can help you a bit.
    FM Transmitter works most of the time (unless it gets slightly pulled out), but other phone charger is a bit jiggly in the outlet. I guess the USB cable (that's currently plugged into the FM transmitter) is a little bit jiggly.

Strangely enough, second trip out (after about 2 hours, it worked perfectly, apart from about 30 seconds before the phone recognised the charger.
    Last edited by Avalon Shotkicker; 11-02-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    96 Integra
    Tried outlet again today, yet again, FM transmitter works for music but not charging, and phone charger doesn't work. But I tried the lighter, and it doesn't light up.

What is the problem? Is it just a soldering issue? Fuse? Anything else?