Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DC2 Si Vtec Solenoid Leaking and other random parts that need help with/attention

Ohkies so ill keep my intro short, bought the car awhile ago, exterior not in the best of shape but i knew or thought id bang it up by accident anywayz (knock on wood) but so far exterior isnt a hassle to me id rather have it looking stock and some dings here and their then a cereal box car =P. Well got my Ps and got bored of the car, somehow vtec wasnt working and like iuno i guess i just got over it, wanted a rwd, had that phase you know. Lately started opening my eyes (not that i think vtec NA is the best) and realised its my 1st car and i saved up for it so i should appreciate it and learn with it.

So here are the problems that came up or were noticed and made me want to keep it and work on it coz like iuno... i just want to work on it and play around =)

1) vtec did not kick in, at 1st there was some oil leaks i saw but i didnt realise the vtec solenoid can leak so after i got the 200k service done it was all clean and well still no vtec but meh it ran soundly, 1.5 thousand Ks later my mate wants to see the vtec engine coz hes the "bro does it got vtec? yulla give me a spin or gun it bro i wanna hear da vtec" so i popped the hood and showed him the engine, he noticed the same leak, or oil seep spot and i started wondering wtf how can it be leaking i just got the sht serviced with new rocker cover gasket etc. Went home done some research and realised vtec solenoid CAN leak coz theres another GASKET in their ==, so yeh now i gotta replace the solenoid or fix the leak and see if the problems fixed and vtec kicks in, if it does itll prob rekindle my vtec luvin and ill just keep playing around.

2) While looking at the solenoid for the leak, i realised..well i think its the tranny not 100% sure im not that mechanically minded i dont know what i dont know and it looks all black.. like dried up black grease or maybe more oil leak their that i never realised.

3) At high revs shifting into 4th and 5th gear crunches, the dog teeth grinding sends chills into my spin, i found out it might just need the tranny oil changed or the synchros are just bad. Either way more money lol and i need a new clutch soon.

Here are pics of the vtec solenoid leaks and the tranny black thingo ma bobby that i was ranting about, dont know if its connected to the crunching coz gears shift into place nicely at low gears and when off.

Questions:
    - Is that 100% solenoid leak or something else AND is it a probably reason why my vtec isnt engaging?
    - Is that black soot/grease/oil thing on the tranny (if its the tranny) any reason for concern?
    - Does it mean i needa replace the tranny or gearbox?
    - Whats that lil black grommet thing? as in where does it go? i just found it near the window washers when i popped the hood a few hours ago
    - Also my car seems to stay hot for a long long time even after its off anyone have a clue why?

thanks in advance and for reading the long ass shit =) Im pretty nooby when it comes to the mechanical/physical part of the car so i dont know much yet but i do pick up quick so if any1 can shed light on those questions much appreciated, and i have researched about some of these problems i just prefer to have a proper 2nd opinion here then random google sites and + i want to make sure and get it confirmed hence the pics. Ty =)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Random Rubber thi&.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	17743   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Solenoid L&#101.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	17745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Looking Tra&#.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	17746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angles Solenoid &#76.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	17747  
    Last edited by _Dee; 11-02-2011 at 07:31 AM.
    My Vtec Goes BWAAAAAAAAAAHHH

For Sale: 93 Honda Integra Si Vtec (Jap Spec) pm me

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2
    hey dude, thats a long ass thread of problems, haha jokes.
    ill try to find a solution for your Vtec problem ye.

ill get back to you
    Code:
    " the harder you push, the louder she screems! "

just replace the solenoid gasket. It has a small metal mesh filter that maybe filled with gunk.
    Also replace your oil. with something known.....10-30w for example.
    The bit of gunk on the corner of the head is a weep hole i believe - fairly normal to have alittle oil leaking from there on a tired old honda !

hahaz thanks lennard xD
    Last edited by _Dee; 11-02-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Oh alright, howmuch usually does a solenoid gasket cost? and umm replace which oil? engine oil? coz i just got that done roughly 3000ks ago with castrol engine oil. Hopefully the solenoid gasket once replace should kick in again, other then that what about that entire black gunk on what looks to be the tranny? in ze 3rd pic? iuno slowly getting paranoid haha the other black stuff should go away with degreaser yeh? been meaning to give the engine bay a clean =) thanks for the info =)

crap sorry for doublepost

how does the dc2 si, does it feel more powerful than a vti-r?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2
    hey dude, i came across someone with the same problem, where vtec was not kicking in.
    try changing the vtec solenoid. thats what this guy did. after he changed it all was well
    Code:
    " the harder you push, the louder she screems! "

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by _Dee View Post
    Oh alright, howmuch usually does a solenoid gasket cost? and umm replace which oil? engine oil? coz i just got that done roughly 3000ks ago with castrol engine oil. Hopefully the solenoid gasket once replace should kick in again, other then that what about that entire black gunk on what looks to be the tranny? in ze 3rd pic? iuno slowly getting paranoid haha the other black stuff should go away with degreaser yeh? been meaning to give the engine bay a clean =) thanks for the info =)

crap sorry for doublepost
    Around $50 from Honda or JDM yard sells it cheaper + delivered as well.

PM JDMYARD,
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

lsvtec - well ive never driven the vtir before but my friends have and they say they pretty sure mine goes harder but then i cant say so for myself so iuno

Lennard - thanks ill try that if fixing the gasket doesnt help =)

DC2-PWR - %50 bux for the solenoid gasket? O.o and here i thought it was like only 20bux ouch, im thinking for 50bux or around their roughly i could probably get a 2nd hand solenoid or something haha, thanks though ill go check it out this weekend probably =)

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    fix both..change the vtec solenoid to hear your crossover again and and change the solenoid gasket as well to prevent the oil leaks.

by the way wat mods do u have on ur car

Quote Originally Posted by vtec23Q View Post
    fix both..change the vtec solenoid to hear your crossover again and and change the solenoid gasket as well to prevent the oil leaks.

by the way wat mods do u have on ur car
    Its completely stock standard =) besides a sound system that was put in by the previous owner =)

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Ok 1. for oil leak replace solenoid gasket. 2.Vtec kicks in at 4400 but u cant hear it depending on the exhaust setup on integra vtir's ....it's the secondary butterflies that kick in at 5900 which make the loud noticeable crossover and to hear that as loud as possible if you don't wana spend a dollar than just simply take off the airbox lid and remove the air intake resonator located on the right corner of the front bumper bar on the drivers side..simply unscrew the guard infront of the front wheel and remove resonator. You should definitely hear secondary butterflies crossover at 5900 (especially if u had a cold air intake)...if no change in the crossover then ur vtec solenoid should be replaced as well.

Also always check your oil level. since your car is leaking oil even though its not leaking too much over time it will get too low on oil if you dont top up every now and then especially with vtec engines since they use up and burn oil quickly which results in vtec NOT engaging .
    Last edited by vtec23Q; 13-02-2011 at 08:50 AM.