Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tafe course to help u learn more about servicing your own car?

I'm not looking to become a mechanic, but I am looking to learn more about my car in the regards to continuous upkeep/service maintenance.

I've done things like changing my own oil and other small work with refilling fluids. But I basically want to know if anyone has done some sort of short tafe course to teach u about these things and if they found it beneficial at all, or would it be something you could basically learn from DIY threads??

I'm meaning things like changing my own fuel injectors, intake manifold slightly bigger jobs but nothing like engine conversions etc. Would you learn this from a tafe course?? or as an actual apprentice?

Is it worth it? I basically want to be able to do all the work on my car unless I don't have the equipment for it
    NHB DC2R

Do you want to learn about cars cause you love them? or simply because you want to save money doing your own stuff? If you really loved cars you would be reading about them night and day! During breakfast, while your taking a dump, daydreaming about them at work, get home look at your car for an hour, clean it, look at it a bit more, have dinner read some more, sleep dream about your car - repeat. Thats how you get knowledge about cars, then you spend some time with your friends who LOVE cars and maybe have some mechanical knowledge, do some backyard auto jobs with them - Knowledge + Experience = fun times!

srs, if your doing it for the wrong reasons you will never be able to do more than change your oil
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

^ a mix of both though i'm not to keen on messing with my type r with things such as changing fuel injectors etc. when i've never had the experience with them. i don't want to dive into it thinking i'm pro mechanic then end up with the car not running when im gonna need it the next day to get to work.

you dig??
    NHB DC2R

true blue! well, you can do pre apprenticeship courses im sure! But things are best learnt by reading and spending time with car nuts. If i wanted to learn how to do stuff i would buy a crappy old car for like $500 and just try restore it (get an old skool car you would like to restore). Get a mate who would be keen as to do it with ya and shebang, youll be progressing like a pro. T'is what im gonna do get an old ke70 and rape the motor
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    they usually dont do courses like that unless your getting into the trade,,, the problem is so much diy works going around, and the automotive industry is going down where workshops are loosing work because of it
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

@jeremy
    yeah man I was looking, but i think the first few courses just teach you basic things that i would already know. I've thought about that but everyones got their own situation and i don't think i'm gonna be gettin much time for it or have the space for it

@na-118
    word. i guess i'll just have to work it out with myself and a few mates. mostly just a few small jobs that i wanna do, fair few DIY's on here that i've done. gonna change the rotors + pads later in the year. hopefully get a mate to help with putting on some new coilovers etc.
    NHB DC2R

^ damn OH and there seriously god DIY's
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Learning to maintain and build your own car can be self taught with the internet being a big advantage to help you. I wouldnt waste money unless your looking to join a trade. Any problems, just type into the search bar. If not, just ask us honda enthusiast on this forum
    - Its not what you drive. Its what drives you.

Lawl, time is a essential for learning about cars, if ya dont have the time then ya aint gonna learn
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

cheers dave. yeh been learning most things through the net, but some jobs just seem to big that i dont wanna take the risk
    NHB DC2R

^ lol we really need to stop posting our comments at the same time
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

^ dude i mean having the time to buy that car and build it up..... what part of don't have the time or space do u understand??
    NHB DC2R