Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ^yep i think so haah
    NHB DC2R

no offence but your the one whos asking for help, if someone gives it to you no need to be rude. your right, i dont understand, you have the time to go to tafe and do a full course to learn about cars but you dont have the time to fix up a car?
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    look up a course called automotive pre-vocational, its a 6 month course and you learn a fair bit from it.

here u go

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/ser...CourseNo=18038
    OEM parts whore

time + space....

who said anything about a full course, i meant something like a short course, i've heard of things which are like 2x a week for 2hrs or so, i'm not talking about a full course seeing as i already go to uni fulltime and working 9-5pm 4 days a week. i'm asking if anyones done something similar to this. what do u want me to do tell u in detail why i can't buy an old car to restore.

btw how can there be any wrong reasons for learning to DIY on car mods/maintenance??

edit: cheers grifty!

meh mods can close this if they want
    NHB DC2R

lawl, thats exactly why i gave ya that idea, you prob work full time so having a car to stuff around with would actually save you time, dont have to restore it, thats just a suggestion. Fair enough ya dont have the space though. It's just when you said you dont have the time i was like, huh?

...ive had a bit of booze, ill check back in the mornig and see where i went wong
    Last edited by jeremydawg; 27-02-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    well im doing a Diploma Mechanical Engineering ... lol

nah seriously - over the last few years iv learnt EVERYTHING i know right here on ozhonda (and various other sources - google, honda-tech, mechanic ebooks etc)
    and i have pulled down and rebuilt a few engines now
    it feels like just yesterday i was too scared to even change my own spark plugs

the internet really does have everything you need to know
    the best way to learn is buy a cheap car - unlicenced even
    and just pull it apart and put it back together and learn as u go
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Anybody who is somewhat mechanically competent will tell you to use the internet/workshop manual/books to learn how to DIY, and that at some point you really just have to say 'f*ck it' and stop caring if you break something or not - otherwise you'll make it very hard to learn anything.

I broke my radiator hose neck at 6:30pm last Saturday night with a planned cruise to Apollo Bay the next morning (430km return) but managed to swap my radiator out for a spare one in time.
    Today I broke my differential oil seal when I was changing my driveshafts and I'll have to give up some of my sleep today (I get home from work at 8am because I'm on night duty) to go to a shop to try and get a new one.

Basically you just use whatever resource you have. Friends, people on this website (they told me how to DIY my clutch master cylinder about a month ago ), other internet searches etc. Then you just get a pair of nuts and have a go. Don't need to do any course to learn how to 'maintain' a car. Not the end of the world if you stuff up. Everybody stuffs up a job some time.

yep i guess it's startin to make a lot more sense now. no hard feeling jeremy
    NHB DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Anybody who is somewhat mechanically competent will tell you to use the internet/workshop manual/books to learn how to DIY, and that at some point you really just have to say 'f*ck it' and stop caring if you break something or not - otherwise you'll make it very hard to learn anything.

I broke my radiator hose neck at 6:30pm last Saturday night with a planned cruise to Apollo Bay the next morning (430km return) but managed to swap my radiator out for a spare one in time.
    Today I broke my differential oil seal when I was changing my driveshafts and I'll have to give up some of my sleep today (I get home from work at 8am because I'm on night duty) to go to a shop to try and get a new one.

Basically you just use whatever resource you have. Friends, people on this website (they told me how to DIY my clutch master cylinder about a month ago ), other internet searches etc. Then you just get a pair of nuts and have a go. Don't need to do any course to learn how to 'maintain' a car. Not the end of the world if you stuff up. Everybody stuffs up a job some time.
    yeah i found that the less i cared that i would break something the more i learned
    but its a slow process ... u cant just jump in and rip down ur engine
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    MK6 Golf GTI
    you could download a manual for your car.
    the one i have for my dc4 tells you step by step and even the nm's of force it takes for every nut and bolt to get off
    mines about 1600 pages long and very good...
    Welcome Abourd

^ where'd you get it from ??

I tried downloading the one from hondatech but it's not working..
    Is there a specific one for the DC2R??

edit:

for future reference from anyone else.
    u have to sign up and activate ur account to download these
    http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/
    it has a type r manual and the 98-01 integra manual and a bunch of others.
    Last edited by KC.; 28-02-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    NHB DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    MK6 Golf GTI
    mines an american one...so the LS and the GSR...but it doesnt cover the ITR....
    umm i cant remember where i got mine from but mine is in PDF file too.
    it wasnt off any forum...i think i just typed in 1996 honda integra service manual (cos mines a 1996 model)
    Welcome Abourd