cheap car tyres? www.taxityres.com.au

Hey,

I'm looking for new tyres and found these guys in Melbourne (www.taxityres.com.au). They are a wholesale distributor to tyre shops. Their prices for the public are really cheap but I haven't heard most of the brands they sell.

Anyone know more about the tyres they sell or used them before? Are they any good?

I called and they said most of the tyres they sell are Chinese. Should I be scared? The guy I spoke with said they last as long as the famous brands and achieve high mileage that's why the taxi drivers buy them.

I normally go with Dunlop or Goodyear. Any advice or recommendations? Or should I just stick with what I know and pay 3 times the price?

isn't it a similar thing when people run the nankangs etc.
    i tihnk it depends on the car and the type of driving you're going to be doing.. i wouldn't really be doing hard cornering etc. in it
    if ti was a run around car yeah i'd put em on.
    you should test em out for us and give us a review.. if the taxi drivers are using them then i'm sure they're not going to be total shit because the cabbies would need them the least bit reliable
    NHB DC2R

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 GE8
    If you're a granny driver (no speed testing, hard cornering & braking, esp. in the rain), whatever unknown brand should be fine.

Just check the production date of the tires you're buying (09', 10', 11') the newer they are the fresher the rubber.

Also consider:

1. Wet Traction Rating (ex: B, A, AA)
    2. Temperature Rating (ex: A, B)
    3. Treadwear Rating (ex: 180, 220, 300, etc) the higher the number the longer they will last due to harder compound

All this info is stamped on the tire wall.

I'm assuming majority of their tires are treadwear rated @ 340 & above, hence supplying to taxi's which do extreme mileage.
    I SiR = Sport injection Racing

thanks guys

just saw my tyres on the car now....running dunlop sports maxx.

"ENGINEERED IN AUSTRALIA. MANUFACTURED IN CHINA." printed on the sidewall!!! since when did dunlop come from china? weren't they made locally?

i guess like everything chinese quality comes at a cost. i want to know if anyone has purchase from these guys and any feedback on the tyres/brands? i know the general consensus is avoid chinese but they have silica compound starfire tyres for $50 on the site which i was quoted $140 at tyrepower?! how is that possible

confused and strapped for cash...can't decide what to do!

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    my only word of advice is to not cheap out on tyres

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

id personally have a average car and great tyres....than a great car with shit tyres.

Member Array
    Car:
    MK6 Golf GTI
    im running a dc4 with ku36's....safe in the wet and dry if i have to move outta the way fast.. also good for whenever i go for a drive up in the glasshouse mountains
    Welcome Abourd

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by tuff_love View Post
    thanks guys

just saw my tyres on the car now....running dunlop sports maxx.

"ENGINEERED IN AUSTRALIA. MANUFACTURED IN CHINA." printed on the sidewall!!! since when did dunlop come from china? weren't they made locally?

i guess like everything chinese quality comes at a cost. i want to know if anyone has purchase from these guys and any feedback on the tyres/brands? i know the general consensus is avoid chinese but they have silica compound starfire tyres for $50 on the site which i was quoted $140 at tyrepower?! how is that possible

confused and strapped for cash...can't decide what to do!
    Starfire are supposed to be made in the same factory as Cooper tyres.I've driven on them,they're not bad.
    !

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    since were on the topic of cheap tires, whats some good tires for a budget of 600? preferable size 205/45R16? My Bf goodrich i suspect are gonna be gone by mid of next year, so i wanna start saving and researching into longer lasting tires...
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    accord
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    my only word of advice is to not cheap out on tyres

x 2 ... 'go with what ya know'

not to say you can't get a good deal on name brand tyres... ebay has some pretty good prices.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1234 View Post
    Starfire are supposed to be made in the same factory as Cooper tyres.I've driven on them,they're not bad.
    !
    coopers are shit though.

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I'm running shit $70 per corner tyres on my daily Civic (came with the wheels). Fine for getting to work and back, but if I'm trying to have some fun (launching against my friends, cornering, braking hard etc) or if I need to rely on them then the situation can get pretty hairy.

Basically they're not something that I have any form on confidence in and I have to adjust the way I drive in consideration of their average performance - so when things are out of my control I basically have nothing to rely on.

They'll probably last forever given their tread-wear rating, and yes sometimes is funny doing handbrakies coz they just slide around all the time, but my honest advice to you is just get something good.

What size tyres are you after? For an Accord (daily cruiser?) I would recommend something from Pirelli like the old P6000 (not sure what they make now).