Aircon drama dc5r

Hey guys I've been having issues with my aircon. Whenever I turned my aircon on, it'd have a rotten water smell to it and water would leak into both the drivers and passenger side footwell. passenger being the worst. I got that fixed at my mechanic, something was blocked and he used compressed air i think to unblock it. Water wasnt dripping when i had the ac on and was stationary, but now it is plus the yucky smell is gone. Couple days later used the aircon and one day later after that there was another wet carpet stain on the passenger side. I asked my friend and they said it could possibly be a leaky piping. Called my mechanic and he said itd take 3 days to fix it and it was some box that was broken not the piping. Can I get your opinions guys what do you think ? I know it cant be something major cause the air con works, and also where can i get it fixed at a good price and on the same day? Im from South west sydney around Liverpool. HELLLP!

The box under your dash is called an Evaporator. Basically what it does is remove hot air from inside your car. But by doing so it condenses moisture from the warm air that passes through it which is why you see water dripping underneath your car (or inside the cabin in your case)

When the moisture can't dry out or escape from the evaporator fins, fungus and other crap starts to grow around the case which causes the rotten smell through your AC vents.

If the only problem you have now is leaking water, then either the drain hose is damaged/missing or the evaporator casing is damaged/cracked

Thank you. Is this a big job? I wanna get it done, is there a certain price bracket I should be expecting to pay? I dont wanna get jipped. Know anyone who will do it?

Guys any more info or recommendations on a mechanic or air con guy will be awesome! I'd go to mine but he says he cant find the part and it will take him 3 days ...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5-B16A
    take it to good performance at yennora those guys are good and are know-it-all on hondas its where i take my car.. They'll know what to do.. Or hannys at smithfield hearing good feedbacks from them aswell..
    A hero is made in the moment, not from questioning the past or fearing what's to come. - Brainiac

Charlie from Good Performance Centre is my mechanic. I asked him already. Ill ask Hanny's. TY

Member Array
    Car:
    Vonda R
    take it to rational automotive in long street smithfield, but most likely you can fix the smell yourself by getting the autoglym air con sanitizer.
    SPAM|WERKS
    got you covered with a johnoroll

The yucky smell is gone. Im getting it fixed on Sat. The guy I called said there was rubbish still in my air con system. Im gonna ask him how much for a complete overhaul on the day. Thanks for the input so far guys.

Reviving an old thread with the solution.
    I found that some car;s air con system dont' have a filter. Particularly early model Jap cars including my 01 DC5R. My air con was stuffed because my own ignorance. When your air con isnt set to recycle, the yellow button, it takes air from the outside. The reason for this is because its seen as "fresh". It isnt because your sucking in air from the outside which will be contaminated, i.e when your stuck in a tunnel behind a truck spewing exhaust gases. Its more safer to have it set on recycled air which is air from inside the cabin. If you want fresh air just wind the windows down for a couple secs then wind them up again. My car didnt have a filter for the fresh air that was coming in so random stuff was clogging up my air con system, which made water pool up in my footwells driver and passenger side, which made me wanna fix it cause my car stunk, and it cost me 300 I think and 3 hours of my lifetime. The repairman told me that European cars have them but not Japanese cars for some wierd reason. wtf? Well anyways the problem is fixed and the moral of the story is keep that f*(king air con on recycle or you'll be 300 bux poorer.

Quote Originally Posted by V8KLLR View Post
    Reviving an old thread with the solution.
    I found that some car;s air con system dont' have a filter. Particularly early model Jap cars including my 01 DC5R. My air con was stuffed because my own ignorance. When your air con isnt set to recycle, the yellow button, it takes air from the outside. The reason for this is because its seen as "fresh". It isnt because your sucking in air from the outside which will be contaminated,
    Since we're on this topic, have you taken out the blower fan and had a look at it as well? There might even be some leaves and random odd debris stuck in there.

When I first got my car, the previous dude left it on 'fresh air' intake, and it 'intook' leaves and sticks into the ducting as well, getting stuck in the blower fan. Don't ask me how leaves could fit through the plastic grille under the wiper arms but it did.

That's where the 'fresh air' intake sucks from by the way, the black plastic grille under the wipers.

Yea dude, I was watching the air con guy fix my car. He took apart the whole thing basically. everything got a good scrub im really happy with his effort. I had leaves in mine too plus debris and like 3 fat dust bunnies lol. I was amazed by how much sh!t was clogged up in there. And even more dumbfounded why Honda didnt put a FILTER there in the first place.