Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyway to check if a motor is strong or not while inspecting a vehicle?

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering ; Is there any way to check a motor if its still strong or not? (while inspecting a vehicle?)

Also, how to check a car with a converted motor eg. EG with b18 - how to check if the motor is properly secured etc? just wanna know if the motor swap was a home job or professionally done? any way to check incase the owner is bullshitting?? - Excluding paper works such as receipts?

(sorry if i dont make sense, i dont really know how to put it together.. lol)

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmEG5 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I was just wondering ; Is there any way to check a motor if its still strong or not? (while inspecting a vehicle?)

Also, how to check a car with a converted motor eg. EG with b18 - how to check if the motor is properly secured etc? just wanna know if the motor swap was a home job or professionally done? any way to check incase the owner is bullshitting?? - Excluding paper works?

(sorry if i dont make sense, i dont really know how to put it together.. lol)

thanks
    some home jobs do professional work, some professionals do home job work. how you gonna know which is which?
    either i dont think it matters if its been done good.
    look for oil leaks, check coolant if its been topped up? no coolant top up usually means owner doesnt care that much.

check out the wiring on ecu and try to trace back. see if any wires been properly soldered & protected by shrink wrap.

open up fuse cover see if its neat or rats nest, thats an indication?
    Last edited by mocchi; 02-04-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    Lil' 4 cylinder
    Do a compression test on the motor

Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    some home jobs do professional work, some professionals do home job work. how you gonna know which is which?
    either i dont think it matters if its been done good.
    look for oil leaks, check coolant if its been topped up? no coolant top up usually means owner doesnt care that much.

check out the wiring on ecu and try to trace back. see if any wires been properly soldered & protected by shrink wrap.

open up fuse cover see if its neat or rats nest, thats an indication?

Ah thanks for the reply dude.. How about the motor its self? Other than compression test, is there anyway to know if the rings are gone etc etc?

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 DC2R
    smoke from the exhaust will let you know if rings are ****ed. Very noticable.
    3 guys walk into a bar. The first guy told the D to get a B series.The second guy told the B to get a K series. The last guy told the K to fk off just get a V8 mate.

Quote Originally Posted by EK1 Civic View Post
    smoke from the exhaust will let you know if rings are ****ed. Very noticable.
    Black smoke yeah?

But cant smokes also indicate that the motor is running rich?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    black smoke is rich, white/blue smoke is oil
    to see all of my build, checkout

Does rich mean the rings are gone? I assume not?

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    No, that's too much fuel = rich. White/Blue is oil which means the rings are not properly sealing

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    No, that's too much fuel = rich. White/Blue is oil which means the rings are not properly sealing
    ah so i should look out for white/blue smoke?

thanks Troy.

Also ; cant black smoke also means there are sludge in the motor?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    As said, do the general inspection, comp test, and leak down test, leak down test should tell u enough info about how well the rings are

And the number one test, the driving test, check for any signs or gearbox problems as well as other usual stuff goin on.

Unless they done the swap em selfs, they must provide u the recite, a simple "i lost the recite" isnt good enough, for every engine swap/build, u want assurance from who done the work, an also that way u can back track it as well, should any problems occur later down the track, if they say they got it done at a workshop but cant provide proof of it, walk away...

And most important, rego the engine to the car!!!
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmEG5 View Post
    ah so i should look out for white/blue smoke?

thanks Troy.

Also ; cant black smoke also means there are sludge in the motor?

Yes, look for white/blue smoke, especially after the engine has been warmed up and driven for a good ten mins (white smoke on cold start could just be condensation in exhaust).
    Black smoke usually just means it needs a bit of a tune, using too much petrol.

Also check the synchros of the GBox, changing gears at high RPM. If you're buying a car you need to know if it's healthy - don't by shy about it.

And if you can get a leak-down test it's a good idea - if the seller is serious about selling the car then they shouldn't complain if you arrange it.