battery? alternator? im clueless..

hey guys. i got a 94 integra vtir with hid kit and a sound system and rest of the car is stock. a few weeks ago the car started having starting problems and then i replaced the battery. few weeks later it couldnt start at all and had a ticking noise so i changed the starter motor and that didnt solve the problem. then i moved on to changing the alternator and it worked but only for a few days then it didnt wanna start again. since i replaced the alternator with a second hand one i thought it was probably faulty and got another one from the wreckers. put that one on and it didnt work at all. now im clueless on what it could be.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    If the car ticks but wont turn over, it's normally the battery not the starter motor.

So you wasted time and money changing the starter.

Sounds to me like you've got either a charge problem or something not turning off.

Get a multimeter and put it across the battery terminals. It should read 12volts

If it reads less, the battery is ****ed.

Disconnect the amps from the battery for a week. If it is fine and doesn't drain the battery, it means the amp is turning off when you turn the ignition off.

If it still does it, disconnect the hids and put normal globes back in

If that doesn't do anything, make sure its charging.
    to see all of my build, checkout

To test for alternator, get the car started (using jump starter) and then remove negative terminal whilst the car is running. If the car dies, your alternator is no good. If it still runs, then look at the starter motor. Usually starter motors start as an intermittent issue.

As suggested, you may have appliances that are switched on and not turning off. Head unit?

What these guys said! definitely looks as though something in your car isnt turning off. Do you know who installed your HID kit and sound system?
    Maybe it could be your distributor or spark plugs.

It probably would've been better to take it to the mechanic. You spent quite a bit of time and money trying to self diagnose the problem by replacing parts.
    Last edited by jeremydawg; 13-04-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Quote Originally Posted by jeremydawg View Post
    What these guys said! definitely looks as though something in your car isnt turning off. Do you know who installed your HID kit and sound system?
    Maybe it could be your distributor or spark plugs.

It probably would've been better to take it to the mechanic. You spent quite a bit of time and money trying to self diagnose the problem by replacing parts.
    is it possible it could be the dizzy? coz it is a reconditoin dizzy

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    No its not

actually yeah it wouldnt be lol sorry. Your car has no trouble running it just cant kick over. Starter solenoid?
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18CR
    Can also be the fuel pump if it still is a stock one. Had the same problem in my 94 DC2, all electrics click so therefore I check the fuel pump and it wasn't pumping anymore. No fuel going into engine to make car start. Might want to check it out.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    No because if this was the case it would crank over, but not fire.

its not doing ticking noise and is cranking but not all the way. i charged up the battery today and started it up and drove it all day no problem so im guessing it was the battery but ill let you guys know how long it lasts lol