Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi

Fitting an Honda OEM head unit, security codes & wiring

I'm going to write this up for a number of reasons:

1. It took me some time to find information about the wiring.
    2. I eventually tracked down the correct pinouts from a 2002-2003 Honda FSM for the Civic EU.
    3. Modern Honda head units are security coded, which means you need the VIN of the donor car, to ring a Honda dealer and get the code. They will ask you for the code before looking up the security, usually a 4 or 5 digit PIN.
    4. The questions I had have been asked before and no suitable responses were available.

Here's what I found after a search through the OzHonda archives:

Quote Originally Posted by bobzed View Post
    I picked up a Honda CD Reciever from a recycle yard for ten bucks with the aim of using it in my garage. I have no idea what model it originally came from. I've trawled through the harness section without success. I've had no luck searching on the Kenwood model number (CX-402WCVH2). The receiver has two sockets, one white and one blue. The blue socket has its matching plug with about 40mm of cable attached. There's nothing in the white plug. The colours of the wires don't seem to match any of the posts discussing loom codes nor at the install doctor website. I'd appreciate any help with regard to the wiring assignments. Also if someone can help with basic operating instructions, that'd be useful as well. Lastly, the receiver has anti-theft written on the front so I'm assuming it needs a code to be inserted when powered up. Any help in that regard would be useful as well.
    So here goes ...

I recently picked up a Honda 10 stacker from the wreckers, along with the connection cable, which had a rectangular plug at each end. It came out of a late 90s Accord.

I didn't get the head unit as I already had several of these at home. Now turns out most of my OEM head units use the round DIN plug so to check this stacker out I needed a newer head unit. The stacker still has the cartridge inside and to release it I needed to supply power to it through the head unit.

I bought a head unit online from another forum, and it turned out to be the exact same as the one above, Model # CX-402WCVH2, made by Kenwood. The stacker is also a Kenwood sourced item.

So to answer the questions from the above post - the blue connector (20 pin) is the stereo wiring harness and the white connector is the stacker cable.

First I found the pinouts for the plug, which the seller supplied with the unit.

Here's the connections and wire colours for the 20 pin rectangular plug. I'm numbering this plug by looking at it from behind, left to right. So PIN 1 is on the top row far left. One thing I noticed from this wiring is that in later years Honda placed all the positive speaker wires together, and all the negative speaker wires together.

So far so good.

I tried entering a code that was written on the bottom of the head unit but without really knowing what the sequence of events are supposed to be, I didn't get too far. So the next task was to do some research on the security code.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 11-04-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    Still here. Still kickin'

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    How to Retrieve Your Codes

Retrieve Serial Number from Device Display. This saves you pulling the whole unit from the car. It works for all Hondas except the 2003 - 2007 Accord with Navigation System. They have a different system.

Turn the ignition switch to ON.
    Turn ON the device and confirm that the display reads COdE. If you don’t see this message, pull the backup fuse for 1 minute, and then go back to step 1.
    Turn OFF the device.
    Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device.
    The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,)
    And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.)
    Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 11-04-2011 at 02:18 PM.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    The Service Department at Rick Damelian Honda told me that you enter the security code when the unit flashes "COdE". This will normally happen when you reconnect the head unit to power. I knew this but my head unit is not flashing that "COdE" request. Just the AntiTheft light is flashing. So either I'm not supplying enough power (I'm using a small motorcycle battery on my test bench) or there is a problem with the head unit. I got the VIN from the seller and I'll probably confirm that the 5 digit number written on the bottom of the head unit is actually the security code before going too much further.

Anyone with a similar stereo (Civic EU) confirm the operation and entry of the code? Is it a 5 digit? Some help here would be appreciated.

Peter

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Problem solved!

Checked the small battery with my multimeter and it was a bit low on power (about 11 volts) so nothing was going to really work.

Hooked up the head unit and stacker to a fully charged car battery, and COdE request came up. I entered the 5 digit code from underneath and the unit worked flawlessly. Also, ejected the 10 stacker cartridge (no CDs!!) and tested the unit's disc selector and it all worked as it should. So I'm really happy with this system - its old school but does the job! I think it's destined for a future project car.

I hope someone else finds this information useful at some point in time.

PS. You only need Pins 2, 10 and 20 to make it all work. Some head units don't use Pin 19, the brightness controller. Mine didn't have it.

Connect Pin 2 (Constant PWR 12v) and Pin 20 (Earth), then connect Pin 10. That's ACCessory ON Pwr 12v. The COdE request comes up then.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 11-04-2011 at 04:31 PM.