Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    INTEGRA TYPE S
    450 before the light turns on. i shift at 2.5k most of the time with the occasional reving

Member Array
    Suzuka Circuit "Spoon corner", Fuji Speedway "100R Corner"
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    Quote Originally Posted by r3ckless View Post
    True that, i've also heard that you hsouldnt skip gears etc, even if you blip it. you should always cycle through all the gears. So in the shrot run he may be saving money in petty, but a rebuild of a gearbox will be costly
    This was done out of curiousity to see his maximum fuel save out of a DC5S. Why shouldnt you skip gears?, he does it so smoothly without even noticing he ever changed into gears. He skips it by going up, not down shift so he doesnt blip it at all
    Last edited by EVLGTR; 13-04-2011 at 07:38 PM.
    "Stock Car, Modified Driver"

Quote Originally Posted by EVLGTR View Post
    This was done out of curiousity to see his maximum fuel save out of a DC5S. Why shouldnt you skip gears?, he does it so smoothly without even noticing he ever changed into gears. He skips it by going up, not down shift so he doesnt blip it at all
    Causes uneven wear over the synchro's and your putting more stress on the motor plus gearbox.
    Common skipping of gears would be people going from 1 - 4, 2 - 4, or even 2-6.

Regardless if you double clutch or not, you will create uneven wear across the synchro's.
    Slowly, slowly you will also be eating away at your clutch and flywheel too.

Sure you can double clutch, rev match it perfect and the car might not "choke" back at you but it will stay create uneven wear as your skipping one entire gear to jump up possibly 2 or even 4!
    This is why we have sequential gearbox's! =)

BTW, this is a great topic, very good one to discuss!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by WATAJK View Post
    Causes uneven wear over the synchro's and your putting more stress on the motor plus gearbox.

Regardless if you double clutch or not, you will create uneven wear across the synchro's.

Sure you can double clutch, rev match it perfect and the car might not "choke" back at you but it will stay create uneven wear as your skipping one entire gear to jump up possibly 2 or even 4!

Yup, I even rev match to go down gears, everytime. Only time i dont is if im going real slow eg in traffic, and it goes striaght into neautral for a complete stop.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ckless View Post
    Yup, I even rev match to go down gears, everytime. Only time i dont is if im going real slow eg in traffic, and it goes striaght into neautral for a complete stop.
    agreed with you there brother!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R

We all know that it does cause some slow wear on the synchros if you put some stress on the gearbox. He doesnt even double-clutch or rev-match. All i know is that he gets in 1st gear > 3rd > 4 > 5 and 6, so he's only jumping a gear, in a very seamless motion while the ride feels as light as a feather.

I think what he was trying to show me is that you can do it, instead of following the conventional driving style of doing it in a sequence. Not only 1-3-5-6, he uses 2-4-5-6 gears as well, wheres the uneven wear on that?
    Last edited by EVLGTR; 13-04-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2003 DC5R Turbo
    My fuel light comes on about 430-450kms, ive pushed it past 500 on a single tank before with city driving. Of course this is driving mood dependent. If I boost and vtec everywhere it can easily drop to under 400.
    Highway driving i get 550-600+.

Recently I had a wire powering my coil packs broken by a body shop and was running on 2 cylinders for about a month, and was barely making 200kms on a tank, fixed it up myself and back to all 4 cylinders and sweet as again.

We all know that it does cause some slow wear on the synchros if you put some stress on the gearbox. He doesnt even double-clutch or rev-match. All i know is that he gets in 1st gear > 3rd > 4 > 5 and 6, so he's only jumping a gear, in a very seamless motion while the ride feels as light as a feather.

I think what he was trying to show me is that you can do it, instead of following the conventional driving style of doing it in a sequence. Not only 1-3-5-6, he uses 2-4-5-6 gears as well, wheres the uneven wear on that?
    If you read my last post correctly, you'll understand what i mean't by uneven wear.
    Regardless that he may take off in first then jump to third on one occasion, there are plenty of other occasions where ALOT of DC5 owners decide to take off in second... I don't see why they do... Very silly as we have a sequential gearbox thats there to be used...
    It depends how often he skips first, second etc etc...
    Uneven wear occurs, how badly it occurs... well depends on the condition of your gearbox..

BTW, currently at 402km on this tank, just above 1/4 left

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    If you read my last post correctly, you'll understand what i mean't by uneven wear.
    Regardless that he may take off in first then jump to third on one occasion, there are plenty of other occasions where ALOT of DC5 owners decide to take off in second... I don't see why they do... Very silly as we have a sequential gearbox thats there to be used...
    It depends how often he skips first, second etc etc...
    Uneven wear occurs, how badly it occurs... well depends on the condition of your gearbox..

BTW, currently at 402km on this tank, just above 1/4 left
    LOL, no offence, you are on my good side atm but I have no idea what you're babbling about mate....i dont know any drivers in general that would take off in 2nd gear. You better ask lots of these DC5 owners here if they take off in 2nd gear coz if they do then they are a bit silly, if they dont, it makes you sound silly.
    When i mentioned "he uses 2-4-5-6 gears " its not what i meant he takes off in 2nd gear. The scenario is that he slows down approaches a corner puts it into 2nd gear then jumps to 4 then 5 then 6 gears.
    He still uses all gears 1-2-3-4-5-6 but in an unthorthodox sequence but does it with such smoothness. You're doing alright but please explain in detail how an "uneven" wear on synchros occurs coz im still baffled and he (friend) was a bit baffled as well. (im not here to make fun of you though)

LOL, no offence, you are on my good side atm but I have no idea what you're babbling about mate....i dont know any drivers in general that would take off in 2nd gear. You better ask lots of these DC5 owners here if they take off in 2nd gear coz if they do then they are a bit silly, if they dont, it makes you sound silly.
    When i mentioned "he uses 2-4-5-6 gears " its not what i meant he takes off in 2nd gear. The scenario is that he slows down approaches a corner puts it into 2nd gear then jumps to 4 then 5 then 6 gears.
    He still uses all gears 1-2-3-4-5-6 but in an unthorthodox sequence but does it with such smoothness. You're doing alright but please explain in detail how an "uneven" wear on synchros occurs coz im still baffled and he (friend) was a bit baffled as well. (im not here to make fun of you though)

Wasn't all in reference towards you though? (What i said that is? It was a general comment? lol...)
    Marked something in bold that you said, when i shift down, i gear down, gear by gear (rev-matching) when i know there's a turn coming up, this isn't necessary (i don't think but reduces uneven wear if done correctly) but this is how i choose to drive.
    There's nothing wrong going from sixth to second when your about to make a turn or fourth to second, well i wouldn't think so? BUT, i dont believe in once you start going down the street that going from second to fourth would be a good idea. Once again your skipping third. Sequential gearbox is there for a reason

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    Wasn't all in reference towards you though? (What i said that is? It was a general comment? lol...)
    Marked something in bold that you said, when i shift down, i gear down, gear by gear (rev-matching) when i know there's a turn coming up, this isn't necessary (i don't think but reduces uneven wear if done correctly) but this is how i choose to drive.
    There's nothing wrong going from sixth to second when your about to make a turn or fourth to second, well i wouldn't think so? BUT, i dont believe in once you start going down the street that going from second to fourth would be a good idea. Once again your skipping third. Sequential gearbox is there for a reason
    He is using 3rd gear when he starts off from 1st > 3rd...so on therefore he's activating the sychros on 3rd. I dont know what you meant by "uneven" wear though coz eventually he uses all triple/double cone synchros in his DC5S.
    Ok lets lets simplify it to middle school level for the sake of our conclusion, he says he doesnt change gears in a sequence 1-2-3-4-5-6 then 6-5-4-3-2-1....on a long stretch of road he does 1-3-5-6 then slows down to 6-4-2 and this is what he meant by saving fuel PLUS dont forget i mentioned he shifts at 3000rpm so there is very little load on all synchros.

Anyway, he says it can be done coz otherwise you might as well drive a car like probably yours with those semi-automatic +/- sequential gearbox or a paddle shifter or something similar, lol, he appreciates the beauty of a manual car such as his Type-S with an awesome multi cone gearbox and how it can be variably driven and gear changed to run the max economical distance (he claims). Cheers !!

He is using 3rd gear when he starts off from 1st > 3rd...so on therefore he's activating the sychros on 3rd. I dont know what you meant by "uneven" wear though coz eventually he uses all triple/double cone synchros in his DC5S.
    Ok lets lets simplify it to middle school level for the sake of our conclusion, he says he doesnt change gears in a sequence 1-2-3-4-5-6 then 6-5-4-3-2-1....on a long stretch of road he does 1-3-5-6 then slows down to 6-4-2 and this is what he meant by saving fuel PLUS dont forget i mentioned he shifts at 3000rpm so there is very little load on all synchros.

Anyway, he says it can be done coz otherwise you might as well drive a car like probably yours with those semi-automatic +/- sequential gearbox or a paddle shifter or something similar, lol, he appreciates the beauty of a manual car such as his Type-S with an awesome multi cone gearbox and how it can be variably driven and gear changed to run the max economical distance (he claims). Cheers !!
    I give up, theres always an excuse or an explanation.
    Your causing uneven wear between synchro's because regardless that your going 1-3-5-6 then 6-5-4-2, your rev's will not be the same as when you shift up or down... Your rev's and how you shift is how the difference between how much damage is caused to each synchro as there individual parts.