DC5R Fuel Pump Issues

Hey all,

Ive recently had a Kpro fitted to my car, and tuned to make the most of the mods ive made. However since the car has been tuned, ive noticed a funny smell that seems to be coming from inside the cabin. It doesnt happen all the time, I can only smell it under hard acceleration. I know that the fuel pump for DC5 is underneath the rear seats, is it possible that the fuel pump can no longer keep up due to the power increase? How much power is a stock fuel pump capable of handling? My car is making around 190hp at the wheels. However keep in mind the fuel pump would be nearly 10 years old.

And im planning on taking the car to the place it was tuned at to get it looked at, but they are away for easter and wont be back til may. Any help would be great. Cheers.
    Wanted to Buy: Any aftermarket parts for DC5 Integra. PM me.

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    DC5R with a JDM K20A
    Mine does this too, have checked everywhere (exhaust leak, gaskets etc.) except the fuel pump I think. Guess that's going to be the next place checked when I go into my mechanics next.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuci View Post
    Hey all,

Ive recently had a Kpro fitted to my car, and tuned to make the most of the mods ive made. However since the car has been tuned, ive noticed a funny smell that seems to be coming from inside the cabin. It doesnt happen all the time, I can only smell it under hard acceleration. I know that the fuel pump for DC5 is underneath the rear seats, is it possible that the fuel pump can no longer keep up due to the power increase? How much power is a stock fuel pump capable of handling? My car is making around 190hp at the wheels. However keep in mind the fuel pump would be nearly 10 years old.

And im planning on taking the car to the place it was tuned at to get it looked at, but they are away for easter and wont be back til may. Any help would be great. Cheers.
    If your fuel pump is playing up due to it's age, then you may aswell upgrade it it to what you need for in the future (what your final kw mark will be if you have a rough idea)

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    You haven't actually said what the smell is... but I assume it smells like fuel.

As you said it only comes under hard acceleration... you sure it's not the tyres... or your pants...

Actually... come to think of it, you aren't running a cat are yout? (I think you said you wern't somewhere)... does it smell like rotten eggs?

Member Array
    Car:
    TYPE-S
    Quote Originally Posted by 45SET View Post
    You haven't actually said what the smell is... but I assume it smells like fuel.

As you said it only comes under hard acceleration... you sure it's not the tyres... or your pants...

Actually... come to think of it, you aren't running a cat are yout? (I think you said you wern't somewhere)... does it smell like rotten eggs?
    Mine smells like "rotten eggs" when i give it some all the time, what is it coming from mate?? im running a 200cell cat....

Well the smell is hard to explain, don't know if I'd say it smells like rotten eggs... But you can smell it after a burst of hard acceleration, even while the windows are up. So I'd doubt it's exhaust related. Yes I don't have a cat, but I haven't had a cat for months and i've only been able to smell it since the car was tuned

Member Array
    Car:
    Clio RS197
    MM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevanbonic View Post
    Mine smells like "rotten eggs" when i give it some all the time, what is it coming from mate?? im running a 200cell cat....
    I use to get this with my last car when my cat was on its last legs. Either cat is dead/dying or is being over worked

Well the smell is hard to explain, don't know if I'd say it smells like rotten eggs... But you can smell it after a burst of hard acceleration, even while the windows are up. So I'd doubt it's exhaust related. Yes I don't have a cat, but I haven't had a cat for months and i've only been able to smell it since the car was tuned
    Exhaust gas can still get into the cabin. Was your car running lean before your tune? Are you using the same petrol?

Does it smell like anything... even slightly?

MM

I use to get this with my last car when my cat was on its last legs. Either cat is dead/dying or is being over worked

Exhaust gas can still get into the cabin. Was your car running lean before your tune? Are you using the same petrol?

Does it smell like anything... even slightly?
    It's not petrol I know that for sure. Petrol has a distinct smell. The car was running lean before the tune due to the lack of cat, but all of that was fixed once the car was tuned. I always use either shell vpower or bp ultimate. I'm sure that the smell is coming from within the car, has a burnt smell to it if I had to pinpoint it.

But is it possible that the 10 year old fuel pump in the car is struggling to cope with the power increase?

Member Array
    Car:
    TYPE-S
    the cat is only a year old, its 200cell so perhaps some of the fumes are still escaping unburnt?

It's not petrol I know that for sure. Petrol has a distinct smell. The car was running lean before the tune due to the lack of cat, but all of that was fixed once the car was tuned. I always use either shell vpower or bp ultimate. I'm sure that the smell is coming from within the car, has a burnt smell to it if I had to pinpoint it.

But is it possible that the 10 year old fuel pump in the car is struggling to cope with the power increase?
    Only one way to try that out...
    Replace it.