Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6

Adding a rear sway bar to ED civic

Hey so the ED civic doesnt have a rear sway bar but i want to install one so what exactly do i need?

Is this it?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-198...ht_3569wt_1139

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ULTRA-RAC...ht_19431wt_905

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Skunk2-Lo...#ht_4477wt_905

So theres no stock mounting points for sway bars so how much custom work would i have to do, or does the ASR and lower control arms give me all the mounting points i need?

Does the ASR thing need custom work to install? and how do i know if its compatible with where that sway bar sits? or are they all the same position.

Many thanks, nic

Either of those will work. The ultra-racing one mounts where the stock one does but is only 19mm. The ASR needs some "custom work" but it's just drilling a couple of holes each side in the floor of the boot.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you have no stock swaybar so you don't even have the same style stock mounts that the DA has. The ASR has all you need, just need to do some drilling.
    Last edited by string; 26-05-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    I have signatures turned off

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    Either of those will work. The ultra-racing one mounts where the stock one does but is only 19mm. The ASR needs some "custom work" but it's just drilling a couple of holes each side in the floor of the boot.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you have no stock swaybar so you don't even have the same style stock mounts that the DA has. The ASR has all you need, just need to do some drilling.
    Ok so the sway bar attaches to the lower control arms on each side of the car? And then i need to add a support brace so it holds it in place which is what the ASR thing does?

so a car with stock mounting for a sway bar would look like this?

But since i dont have them i can get the ASR

So those screw up the top are what i will need to drill into the boot? And this will provide the support i need, i assume the bolts and stuff will come with all the other gear else i can just go to bunnings.

Just to clear things up if i have the ASR mounting thing then i DONT need the brackets like in the first picture? oor i do need the brackets and the ASR is extra support since it is a big swaybar?

Thank you,
    Nic (hope the pictures help)

-nuked-
    Last edited by string; 29-08-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    There are lots of different swaybars out there so how do i know if it will line up and fit in the ASR? Or is there some standard they have to follow so they all go the same path and fit?

Quote Originally Posted by 90civicGL View Post
    There are lots of different swaybars out there so how do i know if it will line up and fit in the ASR? Or is there some standard they have to follow so they all go the same path and fit?
    On my DA, with stock LCAs, I use a whiteline swaybar designed for the DC2. The endlink angle isn't fixed so even a few centimetres difference in total width can be made to work. With the ASR you'd probably want to get an ITR swaybar. They're for sale quite frequently on the forums/ebay. You'll have to confirm with the seller of the ASR brace whether or not it comes with the D-brackets and bushings for a swaybar. You'll need those.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Ok thank you, ill do a bit more looking around and re-search on what swaybars are good with the ASR and so on, all help is very much appreciated , if you follow my build thread you will get to see some before and after, but need to get it roadworthy before i go put sway bars and so on.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    If i got 19-22mm sway bar at the back what size should i be looking at for the front? 24-25mm?

Member Array
    Car:
    crx
    have look at markismaximus worklog on ED6 civic hatch back he made up custom mounts and rear sway bar off a DA teg

LINK
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...uild.../page31
    If you see a good Technical post giving advice give some postive rep

Quote Originally Posted by 90civicGL View Post
    If i got 19-22mm sway bar at the back what size should i be looking at for the front? 24-25mm?
    Leave it stock.

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    wouldnt it be a bit wacky though? Id be moving from 18mm front no rear to 18mm front 24mm rear (if i went ASR rear swaybar aswell)

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Quote Originally Posted by pat88c View Post
    have look at markismaximus worklog on ED6 civic hatch back he made up custom mounts and rear sway bar off a DA teg

LINK
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...uild.../page31

yer i saw his work it does look good, but i think i want a bit more heavyer duty. also i think the ASR brace will make it easyer.