B16a2 vs b18c2 g/box..major difference in performance?

Hey guys as topic says..if i was driving a b18c2 eg with either of these gearboxes..would i feel a significant difference in torque, top end power, acceleration, 1/4 mile times etc....? Or if the difference is only minimal as people all say b16a2 is better..but is the b18c2 box that bad?

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    b18c2 box has longer ratios, longer 2nd and 3rd gear, therefore takes longer to reach top end. However they are great for turbo builds because you stay in boost longer.

b16 box has shorter ratios. therefore pulls harder, better 1/4, acceleration, both final drives are still 4.4 afaik.
    so b16 box > b18 box in stock form.

Member Array
    Car:
    Lil' 4 cylinder
    The B16A gbox are only short 1,2,3 the 4th and 5th are actually long. IIRC.

Structually i assume they are both reliable i assume..just trying to figure how to get the best out of my b18c2 eg..was suppose to get a b16 gearbox with my conversion but i found out it was off a 93crx which people say is completely different to 96+ b16..so currently tossing up which to get..found a couple of gearboxes but they seem overpriced

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    What's overpriced in your opinion? I'd be surprised if you can get a B16A box for less than $600. IMO they're worth closer to $900.

'93 should be hydro just like '96+. I don't think there are any other differences, although I may be mistaken...

Well ive been getting alot of $1000+ for bare box only thats pretty pricey if your telling me tyere between $600-$900 guess ill just wait for right one to pop up...think i must of read some where that older b16a boxes have diff ratios?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    B16A are like $1000. Remember, your paying that much money for a 15year+ old gearbox. The condition wouldn't be great. And thats a lot of money.

So save up abit more, and buy a DC2R gearbox. I bought my DC2R gearbox for $1500 and it's perfect. No crunches. Gears go in crisply. And you have that confidence that the DC2R internals are much stronger than B18C2/B16A gearboxs

The difference compared to my old B18C2 gearbox was massive, every gear I change to with my DC2R gearbox always stays near top rpm and it just pulls.

Theres no downsides of this gearbox, however I did have one small problem and that was I had a buddyclub exhaust. On highway sitting around 100-110km at 3500RPM with a loud exhaust is un-bearable with DC2R gearbox.

Good luck,
    Last edited by DC2-PWR; 12-06-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    i bought a ek4 b16a box for 400 off here , imo there not worth anything over 600. There is one type of B16a hydraulic gearbox from the delsol y21 which has the 4.2FD which you will have to make sure you dont get.

The B18C2 feels sluggish with the stock gearbox, the b16a makes it a bit more happier and the ITR box brings it to its full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    What's overpriced in your opinion? I'd be surprised if you can get a B16A box for less than $600. IMO they're worth closer to $900.

'93 should be hydro just like '96+. I don't think there are any other differences, although I may be mistaken...
    desperate people will buy it for that price.
    I wouldn't buy a b16a box for more than $600.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    desperate people will buy it for that price.
    I wouldn't buy a b16a box for more than $600.
    Haha you sound like somebody I know who never bought an EF8 because he didn't want to pay more than $4000-5000. He's still driving an ED9 and looks longingly at my car.

It all depends on the box. If somebody offered me a B16A box with good synchros and the OEM LSD then for sure I'd pay up to $900.

Doesn't matter if you buy it for $400 or $1000, doesn't even matter if you buy the ITR box - they might all still have buggered internals.

We had a thread last year about the B16A/B18C2 internals strength VS ITR internals strength. I can't remember what the outcome was though, does anybody else?

I guess by sounds of things ill be saving up for a s80 then...if its going to bring out the best in my car then i guess there worth every cent..always good to have peoples opinions =D