Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1

What too look in a DC5R/2R? and QA

Hi
    I'm currently in the market of looking for a 2nd hand DC5R. To start my story originally was about to take my old mans Civic EK but some red p plater crashed into it and it was a total loss. . . my dad would get a EK9 as a replacement but i told him i don't think we are allowed to import those and now i am just borrowing extra cash to look for a DC5R/2R. It my first time buying a second hand car and i am not sure what to look for in a used integra as i am looking for as stock as possible and any advice would be good advice i don't know anyone that bought second hand cars before. I am also wondering why some of the price of the DCs prices compared to Redbook's price to carsales is alot more higher?
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks In advance.

The type r models have a kind of cult status, sort of like the old ae86 sprinters. They tend to hold their value a little better as long as they're in good condition. You'll usually find type r's have lower km's on them compared to base model integras because many people use them as weekend cars. So it's understandable to see a DC5R on carsales with under 100 000kms for 20k ish.

I own a DC5R, so I can talk from my own experiences. Dont let kms be the deciding factor when choosing an integra. It's the type of kms that are important. I went and looked at a DC5R with 76 000 kms, and the interior was filthy, scratches on the paint and gutter rash on the rims. Then I saw one with 170 000 kms, in MINT condition, ended up buying it. Honda engines are very reliable so long as they're looked after, so to me kms don't matter that much. Put it this way, I'd rather buy a car owned by a middle aged lady with 150 000 kms of highway driving than a car from some flat brimmed cap douchebag with 50 000 kms of vtec-ing it in between every set of traffic lights.

When looking at a car, check the condition of the recaros. If they're in good nick, there's a good chance the car has been looked after. Type R owners will know what I'm talking about. DC5Rs also have fairly soft engine mounts, so always get them checked. Apart from these 2 things, I'd always get the car checked by a trusted mechanic for piece of mind. Things like wear on cv joints, bushes, brake pads, any oil leaks around the head cover or sump, and just overall condition, does it look like its been looked after? And always take it for a drive. If you do all this, if theres any major problems you should be able to tell.

But for the DC5R at least, I've had mine for about 18 months now and I absolutely love it. You can't compare it to any civic, they just feel so nice to drive. So firm and tight. The steering is direct, they handle great, and the K20a engine is one of the all time great NA 4 cylinders. Plus plenty of aftermarket support if that's the way you want to go. Just spend the extra 2-3 grand for a good one, treat it well, and it will make you smile everyday. I'm speaking from experience Hope that helps pal. Any questions just ask.
    Last edited by Nuci; 22-06-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Wanted to Buy: Any aftermarket parts for DC5 Integra. PM me.

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    Thanks Nuci for the reply. You gave me an idea for what to look for when im looking around for one.
    Another question i have what is the price range i should be looking at? I'm looking at 02~03 model and im been seeing a price range from 16k~24k average of 120k kms.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    For a dc5r id be looking at ~16k-20k. 24k is abit too much to be honest, but if you do get one for that price it should be like mint as. The white ones tend to be abit higher in price than the others cause its alittle more rarer. 120kms isnt that bad considering the car is like 8 years old, as long as its been service and stuff it should be sweet.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Is there any reason why ur looking for a close to stockcar as pissible? Are u going to mod it... Its great and all getting a bone stock
    Car and all that. However you should do a fair bit of rrsearch into aftermarket support! If a car youfound has
    Got parts your going to put on,
    You might as
    Well buy it . It will save u time and money in the future. For example.. A car with hasport/innovative engone mounts is already a good buy, as nuci said- mounts are weak in dc5... It will save u time in the workshop and money if you find a car with mounts
    Replaced already. Thats just one example.

What reckless said is true, if you intent on modifying it, then light bolt on modifications like strut braces, engine mounts, intakes, these sorts of things will save you money if it's something you intend to do later on down the track. I'd stay away from the more seriously modified ones though, because you're never sure what you're going to get.

White is probably the most sought after colour (championship white to be exact), kinda like monza red on ferraris. So these might be a bit more expensive. Anywhere around 100 000 kms give or take a few is where Id be looking. And yeah I'd be looking to pay around 20 grand for a nice clean one. I'm from Brisbane and I check carsales for DC5Rs regularly, and there's always a few clean ones on there. Luckily they're probably out of the price range of most bogan douchebags.

One good thing is that they hold their price quite well. If you look at the later model DC2Rs, they're still fetching 15+ grand, which is a good sign from a resale point of view. But the DC5 is a great car mate, with one of the best engines Honda has ever made. Take one for a drive and you'll see what I mean.
    Wanted to Buy: Any aftermarket parts for DC5 Integra. PM me.

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    Well the reason i am looking as stock as possible cause of no engine things for platers. I only recenty got my green ps although i dont really mind mods now i think about it. Thes mods i had in mind are simple and light ones as i am going to use this as daily. Also planning too keep it as long possible but the resale of type r's are one of the things making wonder are they that good and want it even more ;D looking for a blue or black one currently in NSW.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    I think for the price budget you have it should not be hard to find a decent DC5R. I bought mine about a year ago for 20k and it was in mint condition with 56k's on it. In my opinion for an 02-03 Integra you should be paying about 20k-21k for something with<100k kms on it. Finding a blue '02 one should not be that hard as there are A LOT on carsales when I was looking.

Member Array
    Suzuka Circuit "Spoon corner", Fuji Speedway "100R Corner"
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    If you want a car with street cred/cult-status and an FF that handles like no other, then get a DC2 Type-R.
    "Stock Car, Modified Driver"

Member Array
    Car:
    GP Racer
    Yup, i totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by EVLGTR View Post
    If you want a car with street cred/cult-status and an FF that handles like no other, then get a DC2 Type-R.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by EVLGTR View Post
    I tend to disagree on this point . Yes dc2r was best ff cAr in world, 10 years ago. Now i see alot of p plater examples. Same goes for an s2k nowadays.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    To the op, fair point about getting a stock car as possible but this goes both ways. My mate recently bought a dc5r. Its stock except for a HU and injen cai. Something quite dodgey about this car. The rail slider for the recaro keeps
    Sliding out. That tells me the rail isnt the original one on the car as its definiately been taken out. Hee told me his boot light wasnt working. I suspected a faulty bulb. Popped it open, the wiring wasnt connected. Now why would the bulb/light not be connected to the wiring?

You then take my car. I've replaced my roll centre adjusters/ bushings on lca and engine mounts. Mods that you can go bacck on but why, whats the point. What woyld you think dodgey anout my car? I also have a build thread and so fourth and im sure after reading that, ppl will realise im a very pedantic, indecisive and a perfectionist and making everything just work.

MAybe something to look out for is build some rapport with the owner. If they seem open n honest in just talking to u. Their most likely genuine bout wat they said about the car