Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

URGENT! need help rounded/grinded bolt

So im trying to undo the bolts ontop of the shock and one got rounded so i got an angle grinder and tried to grind it down the side... did not work. the 2nd bolt is too tight, tried heaps of wd40 and shit just wont come out.

i only have a few tiny wrenches... any tips will be greatly appreciated

pic below

Member Array
    Car:
    14' GK5 Jazz
    If its too tight, WD40 won't do much help. Try knock the bolt first, if still not working use flame torch to heat up the bolt then try undo again. I use this heating method to undo old rusted bolt.
    Please go buy a socket set and use the right size, it'll be easier for you. SuperCheap auto got some on special.
    Good luck
    2014 HONDA JAZZ VTI-L
    Raemco High Flow Air Filter / KYB Lowfer Sports Kit / HKS silent Hi-Power / WORK Emotion 11R

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Vti-R
    some vice grips wouldn't go astray either, since the nuts are rooted anyways jsut clamp the shit out of em. for better results do that with a penetrating oil

get yourself one of those clamy/wrenchy things that lock when you tighten it.
    or just add a hollow pole or spanner at the end of your wrench for MOAR power.
    or get a chisel and a hammer and hit that shit till to loosen it.
    or get a useless socket (preferably that euro crap with the fractions for numbers because we all know those are useless lol) that fits abit smaller than the bolt and bash it in then remove normally.

btw you srsly need a socket set if you do not have one
    Last edited by Bulbasaur; 14-07-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '04 Euro Lux
    irwin also make a socket set that is specifically made for taking off rounded nuts, iirc you can get it from bunnings but is a bit costly

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    Chisel and hammer split the nut
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    damn, the cost that cheap tools end up costing you far outweight the good stuff.... never had a rouded nut ever, though heat is the shizz for rusted/ mega tight nuts
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    Quote Originally Posted by na-118 View Post
    Chisel and hammer split the nut
    +1, thats rooted. u need to get rid of it.
    best and fastest solution.
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Cheers for the help guys. I had already tried all of the things you mentioned. Tried the vice grips, but i only got those shitty $5 plastic sorta ones so they ****in sucked. Tried supercheapauto for the ones that tighten as you turn it but they ran out of stock. Tried the hollow pole for more leverage but that failed too. Couldnt bash a smaller socket in cos of the black thread thing in the way and no room around the nut.

The socket set i got wasn't deep enough to take the nuts out, hence why i had to pull the panels out to use the spinny wrenches.

Ended up going mechanic shop, took him 2 minutes and he made $20.

So much for a 30 min job changing shocks... didnt finish til 8pm. Had to call for additional people cos dad's not fat enough to stand on the rotor

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Damn man, what a PITA. I could have fixed it after work, I have loads of those spare nuts (always stock up at the wrecker...).

Invest in a good/deep socket so that you can get a solid seal on the nut in future mate, and always hold the wrench stead at the socket-end so it doesn't wobble.

Heh after about 4 hours of cursing at the stupid nut i was gonna call you Andy but didn't just incase you had work. The mechanic dude gave me some spare ones incase i fk it up again in the future. Main cause of all this headache was because i used a normal spanner with heaps of sides instead of the proper 6 sided deep socket. Time to go shopping for a QUALITY toolbox!

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    this is why u need to invest in quailty tools, sometimes when supercheap has a sale they have 2 SCA tool boxes for $100 together which is a bargain!!

They are good quality and come in every size that u need, even for driveshafts.
    OEM parts whore