Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Caltex axed 95RON - Is 98RON worth it then?

Hi guys, my local caltex has axed 95RON fuel. Unleaded fuel now only comes in 91 and 98RON at this outlet.

My car recommends 95RON fuel minimum.

My question is, will i see any benefit increasing from 95Ron to 98RON? or should i just go to another fuel station with 95RON still 'on tap'

Cheers
    Tim

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    The price difference is so little I think you should just use 98? It's a 3 cent difference? Compared to 13 cents or so from 91 - 95.

IMO, I think its worth the small increase in price.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    What a bloody joke! I remember when they first introduced vortex 95 they were raving on about how good it was and how it kept up with shell, mobil and bps 98RON. then a year later the retards at caltex released vortex 98 Coz their 95 just wasn't selling well against everyone else who just had 91 and 98. And now your telling me caltex is stopping their so called amazing vortex 95!

Bunch of retarded marketing hooligans if you ask me.

I personally would choose from any other major brand before caltex
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by haitim01 View Post
    Hi guys, my local caltex has axed 95RON fuel. Unleaded fuel now only comes in 91 and 98RON at this outlet.

My car recommends 95RON fuel minimum.

My question is, will i see any benefit increasing from 95Ron to 98RON? or should i just go to another fuel station with 95RON still 'on tap'

Cheers
    Tim

calm down tiger. he said local...
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Go BP or Mobil IMO (if there's one local).

What car/engine?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Your car will run better with 98RON, 95RON is just the minimum requirments as what our dealer told us last time.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Lol just go to another petrol station like shell or BP, they sell e10, 95 and 98 there, simple

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Go BP or Mobil IMO (if there's one local).

What car/engine?
    2007 Accord Euro. 2.4l

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    If you can find another station to pump 95RON, then that's fine. But if your local station only sells 91 and 98 RON now, then your only choice is 98. So fill 98.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    ACA did a comprehensive test on different fuels and 98RON came out the winner in distance per cent.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    True they did, and I think they had good control of limitations as well.

For a car that modern I would only use 98.

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by flipfire View Post
    ACA did a comprehensive test on different fuels and 98RON came out the winner in distance per cent.
    Lol, you mispelt "non-scientific and most likely complete rubbish". How could you type comprehensive?

But seriously, it wasnt comprehensive, it was 5 cars on one trip (~180km). There are so many variables that mean that test is useless. Even the same make and model will can vary by a lot, not to mention the differences in drivers and traffic. A real test would be over thousands of kilometres on a closed track with the exact same car and exact same driver.
    An even better test would not even use a car and just measure the energy that these fuels give out in a bomb-calorimeter. Because most cars cant advance timing in response to higher than recommended RON fuels, it is really only the energy per litre that will affect economy.
    Last edited by gumus89; 02-08-2011 at 08:35 PM.