Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9

Head Prep Questions

hey guys

im in the process of prepping a D16y1 Head (same as D16z6) to put onto my D15b7

i have dissasembled everything and got the head down to just the valve guides
    im also going to take it into the machine shop for a clean, skim and check for any possible problems

i have a few questions...

1. my garage is fully enclosed - but the valve guides and a few other bits have started to corode a little - will the machine shop be able to deal with this or will they have to be replaced?

2. i cant seem to get the valve stem seals off - will the machine shop do this for me?

3. lastly - im going to do some very light PnP work on the head - should i do this before or after i take it into the machine shop?

thanks for any constructive replies!!

----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    hey guys

im in the process of prepping a D16y1 Head (same as D16z6) to put onto my D15b7

i have dissasembled everything and got the head down to just the valve guides
    im also going to take it into the machine shop for a clean, skim and check for any possible problems

i have a few questions...

1. my garage is fully enclosed - but the valve guides and a few other bits have started to corode a little - will the machine shop be able to deal with this or will they have to be replaced?

2. i cant seem to get the valve stem seals off - will the machine shop do this for me?

3. lastly - im going to do some very light PnP work on the head - should i do this before or after i take it into the machine shop?

thanks for any constructive replies!!

1: Spray the head with machining oil or WD, a light blast will clean the corosion off at the head shop though but it means you need to be utterly 100% when cleaning before fitting later.
    2: Head shop will do this, no problem. Or buy this tool - http://www.engineproblem.com.au/seal.htm
    3:Port the head before the service incase you damage a valve seat. This can then be sorted by the head shop. (avoid touching the seats with your porting tools though, casue if you stuff them you'll be up for new seats which will add considerably to the bill)
    Last edited by TODA AU; 08-08-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    i was just going to give the ports a light run with 60grit dremel tool to remove cast seems and imperfections
    i was going to go up to the seats with 60grit - than just use a steel brush dremel tool to polish the seats up - not really going to touch them with abbrasive bit

they are going to check the head for warpage, than clean and skim it
    they will also give me a quote on 3angle job, re-seat, and oversized valves - they said they can assemble it as well - but i can do that myself

im going to get the machine shop to clean the head - but all the local shops i ask say they will sandblast - is this ok?

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    sand blast the whole head? is that necessary? i mean it is getting skimmed right?

i guess its ok? never seen it done though, but im not basing this off any huge experience....
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

.....an era has ended.....RIP YF dc2^3

"I do apologise for what must seem like an arbitrary imposition"

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    IMO prep the head first bro, then get the shop to give it a good clean so you don't get much crap left in there when you start it up fresh. Always keep the parts oiled and air-tight if need be.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    anyone know if i can use the Bisimoto Cam Gear i have for the D15b7 with the D16y1/z6 - or will i have to get a different cam gear?

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by TODA AU View Post
    1: Sp.... http://www.engineproblem.com.au
    ...hich will add considerably to the bill)
    god damn. thanks for sharing good website.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Bro, should be fine to use the same cam gear.

get the head serviced first. the shop will have to tip the valves after the seats have been cut. after this the valves should go back in the same spot, number the valves when you take them out. if you not using a carbide tool, you wont hurt the seats. their easy to put back together when all cleaned. Have a look at miss_motorsports build thread to see how we did the ZC head and manifold.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    yeah i have labelled all the valves/springs/retainers and stored them in some dish washing gloves lol
    im going to do a light 120grit sanding run on the exhaust ports and a light 60grit run on the intake ports
    i will remove some material from the exhaust ports but plan to leave the intake ports fairly stock
    i will do an anti reversion gasket/port match up as well

than once this is done im going to take the head to the machine shop to have it checked, cleaned, skimmed and get their advice on what to do about valves and valve seats

if there is anything im missing please let me know

sounds like you got it covered.... enjoy

Banned Array
    Car:
    [|-|]
    i'm thinking about chucking a d16y1 head onto my b7 as well.. interested to see how this turns out.

keep us posted.