Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by spetz View Post
    I guess it depends on which car pops up first at a good price/condition
    This. Whichever is in the best condition for the best price if you are not leaning either way in particular. There are some nice Camry's out there, but most I inspected were shocking. And the same in reverse, a lot of good Honda's and a few shockers too. Seems the Accord is kept by nicer owners, or just doesn't "age" as much. If that makes sense.

Yes every car has it's advantages and disadvantages.
    To be honest I have not excluded the Magna/Verada either. They are much cheaper, or rather for the same budget I can get a car with 150,000km rather than 250,000km is how I see it.
    Do you know if there is a website where people log their fuel consumption data on? To compare difference cars etc?

With Honda cars I noticed they do age better, and they drive better than other cars when they are old. Maybe it was just coincidence that the old Honda cars I drove were better maintained.

Accord is much better option than other two after that you can go for camry.

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Accord VTI-L
    horses for courses:
    all 3 of these cars will do what you are after. I have owned 2 late 90s magnas and my family has owned camrys for 14 years.
    The hondas of this vintage were expensive when new and werent on the discount scheme for fleets, so you probably wont be finding as many for sale as camrys or magnas, BUT you may find the perfect, owned from new by an older owner and serviced well.
    Magnas are cheap to buy/insure and find parts for, they can be heavy on fuel tho'
    Camrys cost more to buy but you wont need parts

good luck with your search.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    cd5 accord h22a
    hey just my $0.05 , i would not even look at the magna what ever you save on cost you will send in fuel !!! ever wonder why the wreckers yards are full of them ? its not because they were the best car on the road ! so that makes it up to accord vs camry . well it depends what your after ,accord gets more power and way nicer looks very well made too, and good list of features , and camry has less power and a little better fuel economy and plain looks and most are very basic . as you said its a daily beater . if any of the accord pluses appeal to you then its the winner ,but if you truly don't care and cheapest fuel wins out with the camry .
    my personal opinion is that the accord is the pick of the two and that is what i would buy myself
    all the best mate!

Thanks for your input.

The Accords are considerably more expensive, so maybe the $80 a month additional fuel bill of a Verada would be better than a $1,000-2,000 price hike for the Accord?
    Also I assume the Verada is more comfortable (quieter, smoother, more spacious) and has additional uses like being able to tow (something I will likely need).

If they were all the same price I would go the accord but I have had my eye out on these cars and they are around 3-4K at the least. And at this price they are 200K km+ which seems overpriced.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    it depends how much do you drive a week.

i just bought a 1999 3L V6 accord for $5800, 130k kms, full log books etc. reason was it'll only be driven about 150kms a week, so higher fuel consumption doesnt bother me ($25 instead of $15 from a civic) while i get much more creature comfort and safety.

but if i were to drive 400kms a week, that changes everything lol.

I have a 93 Accord (2.2l manual),surprisingly since my learners & gosh has this thing done well for me.

Reliability wise,look after it with regular services & all it'll go well.Had mine for 3 years & over that time it hasn't had any major problems.

Fuel economy is really good for a 2.2 I'd say. most of the time in 5th gear though (granny spec)
    Spare parts..You can find em at Honbits,Pick&Payless &/or other wreckers,prices on parts are fairly cheap but wont leave a hole in your pocket(Spent $75 for a single OEM tail light today @ honbits)

Very comfortable to drive in,quite spacious & for practicality;depends on how your going to use it.

Overall i paid less than 2k for it and its going well