Member Array
    Car:
    my2000 type r dc2

DC2R cv shafts/wheel bearings

hey

hey guys i hit boost in my type R today 3rd gear and when i backed off my car started making a noise .. thought it was bottom end blown but it was coming from my wheels ..

cv's blown make noise when you turn but even as i was driving it was making noise like my wheel was going to fall off and was constant as i turned

Q1 could it possibly be wheel bearing ?
    Q2 how much power can stock Type R cv's handle ?

cheers

hard launches will kill driveshafts/CVs not topping out a higher gear - sure everything is tight ? you havent blown a mount or ?

Member Array
    Car:
    my2000 type r dc2
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    hard launches will kill driveshafts/CVs not topping out a higher gear - sure everything is tight ? you havent blown a mount or ?
    hey

nah don't launch or dump clutch just hit boost in gears, i have hassport top mounts and bottom 2 i replaced yesterday brand new stock mounts.

im going to jack it up tomorrow check it out, just need some ideas lol

gl ! Could even be something silly like a loosened intercooler pipe or bad like a blown diff etc. Let us all know

Member Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 VTi-R
    just a quick thought.
    could b your intermediate drive shaft, they're not supposed to have any give...

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM B18CR
    CV & Drive Shafts for stock DC2R are known to only handle 200HP at the wheels. Launching your car hard might stress these components and therefore having a broken CV or driveshaft. In America, there are 300HP drive shafts that are pretty cheap and work very good which also comes with the mid shaft.

No use in replacing with stock/OEM drive shafts as I have broken 2 new sets with just a standard B18C engine. Hope this helps.

Member Array
    Car:
    my2000 type r dc2
    hey guys

ive just gotten under the car and what i have seen is

passenger side cv shaft has an intermediate bearing holding it .. and i have taken 3 bolts off the block and the bearing is wobbly as i move it left to right and is not feeling very solid .. could this be the problem?

Member Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 VTi-R
    ...dont take my word for this but im 90% sure...

intermediate drive shafts are not supposed to have any give

^^ when you turn the shaft it should feel really smooth (no crunching or slight ripples when turning)

the bearing holding it shouldnt have any give at all. if it does have a bit of give thats most likely the knocking noise your hearing.

Member Array
    Car:
    my2000 type r dc2
    hey mate just got the shaft out

the bearing seems kinda ok but the cv was on the verge of wearing

so im going to replace both cv's and bearing cause im making well ov3r 200 hp lol wanna do the job once

thank you very much for your help

do you know any place to find high performance cv's ?

Member Array
    Car:
    99 DC2 VTi-R
    no problem

but no, i really dont know where you can get high preformance cv's
    maybe ask one of the traders on this forum? point you in the right direction?

Member Array
    Car:
    my2000 type r dc2
    Quote Originally Posted by _bORdO_ View Post
    no problem

but no, i really dont know where you can get high preformance cv's
    maybe ask one of the traders on this forum? point you in the right direction?

no worriez mate
    take care