Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro

Question Replace Brake Pad DYI?

Hi guys,

Firstable I'm a nob. Today, my service log reccommend replacing the brake pad. I just wondering is it easy to DIY? Any special tools required? I cant find any brake pad replacement instruction article in the forum. btw, my car is a euro cu2.
    \
    Many thanks.
    -------------------------------------
    ~ Honda is my Japanese wife ~
    -------------------------------------

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    are you sure it said brake pads? probably said brake fluid?

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Brake pads can be visually inspected.

If you don't know how to inspect your brake pads, don't attempt DIY replacement.

A brake pad replacement was one of the 1st things I ever did on a car, grab yourself a handbook from Supercheap and they're full of everything you need to know from changing tyres, brakes, clutch and even engine reconditioning.

I brought one of these with my first car and that was how I learned about cars.

What you'll need:
    A friend who has some decent knowledge (or the book)
    Some spanners
    Socket set
    2-3 hours (for your first time)

Basically, your pulling the wheel off, on every caliper there are usually two bolts that hold the calipers on 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom,

Might be easier to just hinge it like this though.

The brake pad is the bit you can see there with a round looking mark on it, these will literally just slide in/out, sometimes there's a bit of wire holding them in.

you undo these and the caliper will come off pretty easily, make you get an old coat hanger and you suspend the caliper so it's not hanging by the brake line.

From this point you'll be able to see the brake pads, at this point it's a very simple procedure of just grabbing out the pads on each side and slotting the new pair in. Then simply do the reverse of above.

This pretty much applies to all cars I've ever worked on.

Good luck!
    - Mitch

do the search again but dont limit it to an accord. they all pretty much the same

It's also worth doing a brake fluid flush and bleed this is a little bit more intricate and timing consuming, it involved two people, but worth doing, try looking into it.

- Mitch

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post
    A brake pad replacement was one of the 1st things I ever did on a car, grab yourself a handbook from Supercheap and they're full of everything you need to know from changing tyres, brakes, clutch and even engine reconditioning.

I brought one of these with my first car and that was how I learned about cars.

What you'll need:
    A friend who has some decent knowledge (or the book)
    Some spanners
    Socket set
    2-3 hours (for your first time)

Basically, your pulling the wheel off, on every caliper there are usually two bolts that hold the calipers on 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom,

Might be easier to just hinge it like this though.

The brake pad is the bit you can see there with a round looking mark on it, these will literally just slide in/out, sometimes there's a bit of wire holding them in.

you undo these and the caliper will come off pretty easily, make you get an old coat hanger and you suspend the caliper so it's not hanging by the brake line.

From this point you'll be able to see the brake pads, at this point it's a very simple procedure of just grabbing out the pads on each side and slotting the new pair in. Then simply do the reverse of above.

This pretty much applies to all cars I've ever worked on.

Good luck!
    - Mitch
    wow dude, two of the pics are epic fails..

u sure you got the right linkage? LOL
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Make sure you use JACK STANDS!

I had a trolley jack come down on me when I was replacing brake pads many years ago. Good thing was all I had to do was to pull my arms away. If I had my head in the wheel well, I would have been knocked silly. Never again would I rely on even an expensive trolley jack.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by IV73CI View Post
    wow dude, two of the pics are epic fails..

u sure you got the right linkage? LOL
    Elaborate?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    elaborate what? its a woman playing the piano.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    elaborate what? its a woman playing the piano.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    for bleeding you can buy a little bleeding tool from repco/supercheap that turns the 2-man job into a 1-man job - I used it to bleed my clutch. just a tube with a one-way valve on the end that stops liquid (and air) going backwards through the bleed point back into the system. Wouldn't really recommend bleeding brakes without supervision if your noob though.. definitely don't want air in the brake lines.