Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6

what amp to get?

i am currently looking at getting 2 x 2ohm subs and want to power them with one amp. what amp specs should i be looking at? mono? 2 channel?

thanks,
    gordon

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    go a monoblock dont bother with 2channels cant make as much power as a monoblock for the same price or quality. assuming u have dual voice coil subs u want monoblocking thats able to run at 2ohm stable. heres a diagram on how to wire them assuming u have dvc subs http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp?Q=2&I=22

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    yep nice big monoblock will do the job well a higher quality 2 channel will cost more than a big mono i think

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    depending on ur sub specs, u than base ur amp specs for it. But make sure the amp power is sufficient to power the sub

Better off getting a mono than a separate 4 channel later on, unless u have big money, than a good 4 channel will be enough, but usually a mono is the way to go to power a sub

try to match the amp rms to the same rms as of the sub, so the power is enough to power it, any less it wont be as powerful as u would of thought. But i hear if the amp is too powerful, it will damage the sub, so bear that in mind as well, and most important tune the sub properly as to not create distortion or cause damage to the sub at some levels.

actually, mono blocks cost from what ive seen, even entry level mono for a decent one is around 200+
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    i powerful amp will never ever damage a sub the way u tune it will. a more powerful amp is always better then a amp with the same ratings as the sub because it doesnt have to push itself as much to create that rated rms, in say that u dont need a 2000watt rms amp for a 200rms rated sub lol

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6
    alright well its rated 1200rms, im looking at a kicker one with 1500rms. can i just tune it so it doesn't push as much power - adjusting the gains and such.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    thats acutally a pretty good combo. set everything to zero adjust gain first then adjust lpf etc then finally bass boost

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Don't even use bass boost. Quickest way to destroy stuff. Just set your gains to 3/4, low pass filter to about 80Hz, and use the sub level on your head unit for further adjustment.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3/ED6
    but if i get an amp that is rated more than the sub, would it matter?

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    but if i get an amp that is rated more than the sub, would it matter?
    Sorry, don't mean to be rude... But did you even read the responses???

Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    i think ur inbox is full when can i pick up those wheels

Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    Just admit it, you loved the feeling of outburst.....