Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    The VTi S wing on the back? Actually i'm interested in a few options on my jazz so i might go ask for the extra options price list. Will let you know if i do.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    buy one from wreckers, i dont think u can get those options from the dealer unless its with the car. or get the spoon one. the spoon one is nice for the GE's

i got headlight and bonnet protector let me know if ure interested

So! Who reckons the stock VTi rims would look good if i got them painted black. Now i've had a look around all the threads about painting the wheels and I'm abit apprehensive on doing it in case i stuff up the new rims. So I'm thinking of getting them professionally powder coated in Sydney. Any ideas where and how much that is going to cost me? I want to leave my car there, pick up my car there not have to take off my rims and leave em there.

so vti comes with rims now always thought they came with hubcaps
    imo dont spray leave it as is but whatever floats your boat
    post some pics if you do decide to spray it =]

Yea still thinking about it but am going to tint the windows in the coming week. Thinking of going 35% on the side windows and 25% on the windscreen but will have a look at some samples before making a decision. Took the jazz out to Mount Warning yesterday with 4 passengers and backpacks in the boot. The Jazz handled far greater that i expected! It was awesome! No worries with the steep inclines or handeling, climbed some pretty steep hills at 40km/h bellow 3000rpms. Seems to me that after the first 500km its seems to be driving better or that might just be me. Either way i'm loving this little car.

Have started the spraying. First rim has been sanded and etch primed. Its drying over night on my balcony. Its gonna take me a few days as i'm going to do it one wheel at a time. Will post pics! Am documenting the process! Tried looking at the forums and there were a few good posts but noting a 100%. I have one question, can you or can you not use brake caliper paint from 3m? It says on the can that it needs to reach 110c to cure properly. I'm afraid that the paint will be soft and damage easy.

Wheel painting.

So i've finished painting my wheels and got my windows tinted. I thought i'd post up pictures of the process in case others want to do the same thing, sorta add my 2 cents to the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

First off, I did the painting one wheel at a time. I used the spare wheel and switched it out every time i'm done with one.

Took off the wheel using the jack that came with the car.

Washed the wheel fully, I stay in an apartment so I do not have a back yard. Washed the wheels in the tub and painted on the balcony.

My little paint shop.

Sanded them with 400 grit sandpaper, be sure to get every place you want to paint especially around the rim area if not the paint and primer will not stick. Also you may want to wash the wheel again after sanding to make sure you get all the residue from sanding off. Just be sure to let the wheel dry fully before starting to paint.

From this

To this

Then cleaned the surface down with wax and grease remover.

Taped it all off with blue painters tape and paper on the wheels. Also be careful with this part, if you don't tape it off properly you might remove some of the paint when your remove the paint later. Also make sure all the wax and grease cleaner is gone before you lay down the primer. As it can lead to bubbling of the paint. I used 3M etch primer.

After the first coat of primer, I used 2 coats (back and front) then let it dry for 2 hours.

After the primer was totally dry, clear the surface of any dust or contaminants that may have landed on the wheel while drying. Then i started to spray the black base coat.

Be sure not to lay on the paint too think or you will get paint runs, had a few problems with that, but i managed to save the paint job by very gently wiping off the excess paint.

So once I've finished the back base coat, 2 coats on the back and 3 on the front. I left it to dry for 4-5 hours, depending on the weather.

Now its time for the clear coat. 2 coats on the back and 3 coats on the front. You want to lay it on thick but not too thick that the paint runs.

Left it over night to fully dry.

Finished product.

All the stuff i've used. Wanted to use calliper paint initially as it has primer in it and is pretty thick stuff but decided against it as it needs to get to 100c+ to cure fully and if its not cured apparently it is susceptible to solvents and chemicals and may come off.

Also, safety was important! I started off with a cheap mask and no glasses. Got so dizzy and eyes were itchy. Then I decided to get some proper protection kit. Highly recommended!

The car with tint and back wheels!

Got 5% on the front and 18% on the back.

All in all it was a hell of a job, good learning experience and feels good to DIY but I would never do this again in my life, IT TOOK AGES! The wheels look great now. So I'm happy

Apologies on the picture quality, used my phone.

BTW, I noticed when i was jacking up the car that some of the paint on the jack points on the underside of the car had been scratched off, would that cause a problem to the car rust wise?

nice rims!!
    goood stuff
    new vti and vtis dont have much diff in this model ayes?

edit: rep for joo

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    wow great job
    the result is amazing, never thought that the original wheels would look that good.
    but the black really does make a difference, makes the wheels style really come together and suit the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    GD3-EVO-S2000
    I wish i had the time and effort to the rims i have lying around
    Herro

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    WOAH!! paul i love ur DP the yellow Foggies are awesum!