Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000 ap1
    Quote Originally Posted by drsilliez View Post
    so many young ones with s2000.

damn im a doctor and i cant even afford mods =P lol serious......

Trying for postgrad med (2012 entrance) and considering selling as well. You reckon I'll be able to keep it with me until becoming an intern?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    You probably have an unsecured personal loan at about 16.5% interest per annum. I'd recommend asking your parents to be a beneficiary, that way it would be secured and then be around 7% per annum. You can extend your loan period if you can make a deal with your parents and redraw 30k from their mortgage, pay off your loan, then start contributing towards your parents mortgage... just chucking it out there

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9, EG5
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmoyo View Post
    You probably have an unsecured personal loan at about 16.5% interest per annum. I'd recommend asking your parents to be a beneficiary, that way it would be secured and then be around 7% per annum. You can extend your loan period if you can make a deal with your parents and redraw 30k from their mortgage, pay off your loan, then start contributing towards your parents mortgage... just chucking it out there
    Very realistic and good advice!! You will shit your pants on how much money you end up saving. Win win for you n your parents. One advice from me, if you going to mod car... Or buy car, make sure you have money up front.. Taking up loan is never a good idea. Just too much interest and headache. Imagine 5 days working. 1 day for tax, 1 day for interest, 1 day for loan repayment, you really have 2 days money for yourself at the end...

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Did someone see you coming ALPS, & flog you a pile of garbage? For $30,000 you should have found a decent car. For that money I found an S with less than 30K on it, & in mint condition.

Even if you were sold a pup, with the work you have done, the thing should now be able to give some years of reliable service. I see no sense in selling what should now be a good car.

If you did not buy a heap of rubbish, perhaps it's time to look at your driving technique. One can be very quick, without being harsh on the machinery.

My son has finally learnt this lesson. After spitting out 4 diffs we built something he couldn't break, only to have him spit the gearbox out. Fortunately he has now learnt to drive just as quickly, but with a little more sympathy for the machinery. Even with a 40% increase in power, it is 4 years since he last broke the car.

I raced an F11 Brabham back in the day. I often ended up on the podium in F1 races, not because there were not F1s faster than my F11, but because so many drivers broke their cars.

Not only did my car finish every race it started, it also set lap records at every track I raced at in the dry, so I was not driving slowly to save the thing.

Driving very quickly, without over stressing the car is perhaps the greatest skill in motoring. It is one very much worth learning, particularly when one is lucky enough to drive a car as great, but as highly stressed as an S2000.

Soap box folded.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9, EG5
    he is trying to seek out opinions on his hardships with his journey with his s2000. hes not here to listen to you brag about how you and your son win race... yes his driving skills may need to change, yes his car may not be good with the money he spent, he knows that. but half of what you write is about yourself. please show some empathy. its not all about you.

Quote Originally Posted by dlai5552 View Post
    Are both you guys on your P's? Hence, isn't it a little too early to be thinking about the future and buying house? lol
    that's just my thoughts as I'm same age as well, and loving life with the s2k.
    It's never too early to buy a house.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    yes at the start i may have been a bit harsh and not known how to properly use the clutch and do proper gear changes as it is my first high powered rear wheel car. but after having the car for almost 12 months now. i have most certainly almost learnt all the characteristics of my car as it is my daily. Only thing that has changed is my handling because i've changed to coils. i even heel toe and rpm match to the gear i will be going down to and pretty much hit it on the spot each time, use that extra fuel to have less stress on the driveline. Congrats with the F11 i'm happy for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Perhaps your English comprehension is a little different to mine Whitecomet, but I was trying to point out that it is not "girly" & doesn't have to be slow, to drive with sympathy for the machinery. I also suggested that after upgrading the transmission, at great expense, it would be a pity for ALPS to pass the advantage of that expenditure to a new owner.

For brevity I did not mention that my first "high performance" sports car, a Morgan +4 weighed only 750 Kg, & had a gearbox & diff from a near 2 ton Jaguar, to handle its vast 100 BHP. An MG B, a little heavier, had only 90 BHP to put through its transmission, so the cars of my day could handle a bit more hamfisted efforts by their young & learning drivers. This is perhaps why so many broke their racing cars when they got one. Most performance cars, today don't have such a wide safety margin in their mechanicals, although we could only dream of the quality of modern engines.

The same also applies to learning to drive modern high performance cars, particularly for those coming from a small front drive hatch. With very grippy tyres, & highly tuned suspensions, & very adequate power, the modern performance car is going very quickly when it looses traction. With 4 inch wide wheels, cart springs, & cross ply tyres, our things were going so much more slowly, that we had a pretty good chance of catching the tail the first few times it went waltzing off across the road. There after we had some experience to apply, to help stay on the road.

When I compare the performance of my old TR [Triumph] classic, to my S2000 I can only wonder that more first time owners don't disappear backwards into the scenery.

I was hoping that my post could save some, like my son, some expense. The fact that a car can do burnouts at will, does not mean it can do them very often before incurring considerable expense. Sympathy for the machinery will pay handsomely.

Perhaps Whitecomet, if you were to apply a little sympathy, & generosity to your reading skills, you may gain the true meaning & full value for your time spent.

Good luck ALPS, I hope you manage to keep that car you love.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9, EG5
    here you are talking about yourself again... i didnt even bother to go through the essay you prepared.

anyway its ALPS thread i prefer not to spam it if you cant get over your life story over others.

i think what he is trying to let everyone know here his "financial hardship" not the way he drives or look after his car. we all know he loves it to bits. like other guys suggested ways to accommodate his hardship with alternative financial arrangement while keeping his car may be useful. you teaching him how to drive or how you did in your race is totally irrelevant to my perception. just what help did you do to help him keep his car while buying a house and study at the same time? enough said, no more keyboard warrior mate.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9, EG5
    and to your hotheaded comment i did hold a degree of literature on top of my dental degree. thank you. its internet im not writing a master thesis to please your eyes. get over it.

Member Array
    Car:
    01POV
    dam way to much to read through. Just sell the car. Easy as pie
    |=TeamPOV=|=JDMYard=|=EK Squad=|=101 MotorCafe Performance Tuning=|

EK Koni Yellows + King Spring Combo for Sale

Whitecomet you're dumb as shit, just saying.

Entertainment ensues.