Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    11 Euro Lux Nav

Ouch....$490 for a new 18" tyre on my CU2

My wife hit a pothole last week and destroyed a tyre on the Euro. Only 14K on the clock....not happy. Put the spacesaver on and took the tyre in for repair to be told.... No new michelin tyres of that size in the country until at least the first week of January... WTF an orginal equipment tyre that requires pretty much immediate replacement due to stupid spacesaver and there are non in the country.

My local tyre place offered to fit a second hand tyre to get my over the Christmas/New Year period.

Oh and $490 for the new tyre.....Not impressed

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    235/45 R18 98W is the OEM size

You could replace both front or both rear with something cheaper you know.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Did you try to call around to see if anyone else has this tire?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Remember if you got 1 michelin tyre thats got 14000 km on it on one side and full tread on the other.... its not really that good of an idea.

you could get 2x Kumho Ku31's for less than a single Michelin

PS: dont anyone check running costs (tyre/service etc) before they buy cars anymore?
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 2010 model
    I am not sure, but dont you guys think if 3 other tyres are OEM michelin tyres and 1tyre is a cheap one or either both front or rear both tyres are different will change the drive/grip standard?

Fredoops, yea thats a good point people should consider check the tyre/service cost before buy the car.. but not many people think about these until the issue come up.. ie change the tyre or service cost..

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    As Lon as you replace both front or both rear that's okay.

Member Array
    Car:
    DMC-12
    u can buy 2 cheap tires for the back and move the 2 oems to the front

Member Array
    Car:
    11 Euro Lux Nav
    Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    Did you try to call around to see if anyone else has this tire?
    Yeah, I called around and two others said the same thing

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Don't buy OEM tyres mate. My girlfriend was offered 4x 15" oem tyres for $600 lol I was like wtf are they semis?

Buy something else not oem and do both the rears.

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    make sure the replacements are to oem specs if you get a inferior tyre you will void your insurance
    ie load rating

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by ozgordon View Post
    My wife hit a pothole last week and destroyed a tyre on the Euro. Only 14K on the clock....not happy. Put the spacesaver on and took the tyre in for repair to be told.... No new michelin tyres of that size in the country until at least the first week of January... WTF an orginal equipment tyre that requires pretty much immediate replacement due to stupid spacesaver and there are non in the country.

My local tyre place offered to fit a second hand tyre to get my over the Christmas/New Year period.

Oh and $490 for the new tyre.....Not impressed
    there was an auction for 1 used Michelin. i was going to bid just to have my hand on a spare tyre, but didn't go ahead. it was $80 starting bid and ended with no bidder.

courier from VIC for a single tyre should be around $30 via SmartSend

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123

btw, the fact that the Michelin is expensive is not because it is OEM, but it is a premium Michelin made in France.

otherwise a Kumho KU31 should cost under $200 from on eBay
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-235-4...item43ac013b8e

try to contact the seller, see if he is still selling it.

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    my wife also hit a big pothole while driving the CU2 at 100km/h zone (the roads from Coffs Harbour to Newcastle are just crap!), fortunately the only damage was a small cosmetic crack on the sidewall. i made sure the tyres were pumped to 40psi before the long interstate trip.

always ring around for prices, and don't limit your search within your area only. look overseas, eg: Tirerack in USA and Performance Alloys in UK do sell tyres overseas, and the prices on premium brands are sometimes 50% cheaper than local prices.

eg: Continental Extreme Contact DW in 235 45 18 in the correct 98 load rating, US$700 for a set of 4, plus US$250-$270 shipping

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

i have done many searches locally and overseas for CU2 tyre replacements. one thing i found is that 235 45 18 is not a common size, hence the rarity in Aust small market. tyre options when checking on Performance Alloys search only came up with less than 5 tyre options... Tirerack gives 5 options excl all season and snow tyres:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...45&diameter=18

225 45 17 for CL9 is one of the most common sizes, tyre options is virtually more than 50 models.
    Last edited by natnat; 30-12-2011 at 08:37 PM.