Car without engine no. plate, and other plates

Hi guys,

So I found this EK selling for 5,700 dollars. It has done 143,000 kms and has had a respray(in and out). The engine bay looks clean as, and it's a GLI as well so it's got all the power options.
    However, I noticed that there are no engine plates and VIN plates in the engine bay. He provided me with the numbers. They were on a piece of paper, not too sure what it was because he sent me the pic through text.
    Anyways, I did a revs check and the car is fine. Just wondering, is it "safe" to buy a car without engine no. plates etc etc.

Also, I noticed that the car does not have black mouldings on the bumpers like other GLIs do, is it a "sign" or something else...I don't know.

Many thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    Canon 5d
    If it doesnt have mouldings on the bumper then the EK is a facelift or the bumpers have been changed with EJ8 bumpers (no mouldings)
    But I would buy the car, it seems a bit sus if there no vin plates, it will be a headache if a coppa pulls you over and checks..

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    sounds dodgy as. why would the vin plate have been removed. In my opinion stay away from it. Could cause you problems later on. Not worth it

Thanks for the comments guys. But the owner claims that the car has had a respray (and probably removed the plates).
    It doesn't look dodgy BUT I know I shouldn't buy a car based on the looks.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    its illegal to remove vin plates

report him to the police
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    the VIN is stamped in the firewall, if this is missing then stay away from the car!

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    It should also have the vin stamped on the firewall.
    Check te numbers are the same but still, pretty dodgy if you ask me if the car wa resprayed and the plate removed I doubt panel beaters would forget to reinsta it after spraying the car
    "Wheels are like bosoms to men, and cars have four of them"

Thanks for the comments guys.
    This is going to sound stupid but I found those plates -,-
    they ARE on the car...haha, my bad.
    Anyways, another question is that the car was built in 11/98
    and I checked on the internet, and 1998 GLIs should have an engine number of D16Y4-12#####
    But THIS particular car has an engine number of D16Y4-13#####, (which is the number for 1999s and 2000s), just wondering is it because the car was built in later 1998, or did he put a new engine in the car?
    MANY THANKS!!

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    it was built in late 98 but complianced in 99 which makes it a 99 model, so its a facelift.

Arhhh OK, thank you so much guys!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    and on that note ... closed
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680