Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    going merry

Dual coil VS Single Coil Subs

Hey guys,

Does a dual voice coil sub really make much difference as opposed to a single coil one? Like what would be the noticeable difference?

I was thinking of getting this jaycar one

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVie...=&SUBCATID=396

but not sure if 10" is big enough and i cant afford the branded subs.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Accord
    No difference, it just changes the wiring configurations.

Yups
    If its a voice coil then I think all you get is a bit more coming out of the sub besides the "bass" e.g. some unclear music? its called a voice coil right? correct me if im wrong

Member Array
    Car:
    going merry
    I was reading on DVC and the description says the advantage of having dual coil is that you can run 2 channels through to the amp instead of the one. But I'm still unsure of what this does in regards to sound quality.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    dual VC gives more flexability when connecting sub(s) to amp(s). Nothing to do with sq output.
    for more information on speaker voice coils http://ibs.howstuffworks.com/ibs/bos/speaker5.htm
    Intentionally Left Blank

Array
    Car:
    Disco Potato
    A single coil sub and dual coil sub don't have a lot of differences, but a dual coil sub can have wiring done a certain way. Basically, dual coil subs offer more flexibility in wiring. A single coil sub is just connective -ve to -ve and +ve to +ve. In a dual coil sub, you can have either series, parallel or independent wiring

PARALLEL - You just take the wiring from the amp and split it so the 2 wires from the negative terminal in the amp goes to the 2 negative in the coil and the 2 wires from the positive into the 2 positive terminals in the coil.

SERIES - The +ve terminal of amp to one positive of one coil, that same coils negative terminal to the other coils positive terminal, that coils negative terminal to the -ve terminal of the amp

INDEPENDANT - This is when you take 2 channels, you dont bridge them, but u run +/- from one channel directly to one voice coil and +/- from the other channel to the other voice coil.

It is beneficial because you can change the impedance levels. Like, a dual 4 ohm voice coil wired in series has something like 2 ohms and parallel has 8 ohms. Its more beneficial if you want to run multiple subs off one amp.
    Fast and furious? I drive slow and luxurious...

Member Array
    Car:
    going merry
    oh ok then! thanks! lucky i bought a single coil one only, cheaper =)

Member Array
    u need a monoblock amp for the DVC sub to be at its full potential anyway, otherwise it wont make a difreence, and yes if u do it right it makes a diffreence i've heard DVC sub on a monoblock amp it sound like u have 2 subs installed

dvc will double the power handling. hence +3b gain. in other words, a dvc (with more power) will sound as loud as 2 svc.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by chan
    dvc will double the power handling. hence +3b gain. in other words, a dvc (with more power) will sound as loud as 2 svc.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtxaudio FAQ
    What is the difference between single and dual voice coil subs?
    It is easy to confuse a dual voice coil sub as a better subwoofer, but that is not the case. You will get the same output from either sub when used in the right application.
    Of course a sub with more power will go louder, but i'd like to know what you're basing your assertions on.
    Intentionally Left Blank

Quote Originally Posted by micka
    Of course a sub with more power will go louder, but i'd like to know what you're basing your assertions on.
    the point is a dvc sub can handle double the power. if u put that amount of power in a svc sub, u might damage it by overpowering it.

Member Array
    Car:
    S15
    Oh god you have no clue do you guys? DVC is purely for WIRING purposes only.