Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EM1

EM1 Clutch slipping

Hey guys,

I got a exedy HD racing clutch and spoon flywheel installed into my em1 about 2 1/2 years now and travelled 40,000kms. I was just told by my mechanic that the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced very soon.

Is that possible? Can the clutch be worn out after only 40,000kms of driving?

Yes, change the way u drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    yes it can be possible, its all about how you drive.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    so im assuming some city driving will do this easily to your clutch right? Is there a need for me to change the flywheel as well?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Quote Originally Posted by akira View Post
    Hey guys,

I got a exedy HD racing clutch and spoon flywheel installed into my em1 about 2 1/2 years now and travelled 40,000kms. I was just told by my mechanic that the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced very soon.

Is that possible? Can the clutch be worn out after only 40,000kms of driving?
    Flogging it on big launches can do that I guess, but wtf?

How much power u making at the wheels?

If it's pretty stock and N/A, you must have been absolutely brutal on the car to fark it in that short a timespan.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Civic em1
    check the flywheel for warping, missing teeth, etc. You don't always have to change it but if it's damaged you should. Your mechanic should be able to tell you if it's good or not...

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecivic78 View Post
    Flogging it on big launches can do that I guess, but wtf?

How much power u making at the wheels?

If it's pretty stock and N/A, you must have been absolutely brutal on the car to fark it in that short a timespan.
    Its pretty much stock N/A

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Could it have anything to do with the person who installed it? dodgy?

reason being is it was done at a garage/mechanic but i cant get a hold of that person as he went overseas

Could it have anything to do with the person who installed it? dodgy?

reason being is it was done at a garage/mechanic but i cant get a hold of that person as he went overseas

Mate

If it was dodgy or bad workmanship it wouldn't last a few hundred kms without something failing or falling off etc. If something was loose or too tight ( pressure plate etc) there would be a dramatic failure very soon after installing.

I think your car has just had some bad driving. Too much slip on hills or stop-start driving etc.

My old car has a exedy organic clutch , and after a dozen 1/4 mile runs , a few days at the race
    Track and a lot of hooning around the new owner assures me it's like new. About 40-50,000kms I'd say.

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    so im assuming some city driving will do this easily to your clutch right? Is there a need for me to change the flywheel as well?
    Yes city driving especially in heavy traffic - your always on the pedals. so Stop / GO / Stop / GO ...riding the clutch will definitely wear out the clutch disc.

And the obvious style of driving ... ripping vtakk all the time and dumping the clutch etc.

You dont need to replace the Flywheel ....just get it machined ($25-50).

40thou clicks on your clutch seems reasonable .. and generally can last anywhere from 1-3years depending on the style of driving.

i have a Exedy Stage 2 hybrid clutch on my fozzy sti..and its still going great for like 4yrs now... even when i flog it here and there....

so when u get your new clutch in ...and u want it to last ...take it easy on crazy vtakks and smokin tyres

also ..make sure they replace the thrust/spiggot bearings when you get it replaced. Others dont replace it and re-use the fcker and after 1month you get bearing noises and a fcked up clutch pedal/gear crunching feel
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    This can happen if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal too - sounds stupid but i've seen heaps of people do it, a small amount of pressure on the pedal can cause the clutch to wear out early...

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    ^^^ especially if the car doesnt have a dead pedal. I know i do it in the work car without even thinking.
    to see all of my build, checkout