Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury

Rear caliper pad fitment

Hi folks Alf here. I am doing a pad change on my '06 Euro. I done the front and am having a small issue with the rear caliper. I haven't gone overboard with force yet but I cannot seem to get the piston to go back in so I can fit the new pads on the rear.

I have done this many times before in that I use the old pad across the piston and a large g clamp that I slowly wind in. So far no budging. I am wondering if it has something to do with the handbrake mechanism (which is released from inside the car) stopping the piston from going back into the caliper.

I did use the search function and someone put up a 2 page doco from the manual but page 2 isn't there anymore??

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alf

Member Array
    Car:
    07' CL9 Lux 5AT
    You actually need to screw/rotate the piston back into the caliper on the rear brakes - there's a large cross machined into the piston for this purpose (I used a cube-style piston reset tool, others have had luck with needle nose pliers opened up or large flathead screwdrivers). Just make sure the cross lines up with the locating tab on the pads once you're done screwing it in!

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    Much appreciated Jono, thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro Luxury
    I had a slight steering wheel shimmy under light braking which annoyed me so with an upcoming rear pad replacement due I thought I'd try to eliminate it.

I removed all discs and sent them off for machining and they also sand blasted the mating surfaces. I replaced all the pads with a brand I have never used before, TRW. I installed everything and flushed the system with new fluid. Took it for a run and the shimmy is gone. Very happy. Apparently these pads dust the wheels up a bit but they have great feel and performance. I guess I will find out soon enough.