Member Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic

Wheel/Suspension Creek

Just a general question.. (Yes, I always search many different keywords before i type).

My EK creeks entering driveways slowly, going over speed humps or hitting ridiculous pot holes (I gave up swerving all over the road to avoid holes a long time ago, lol). The sound generally comes from the rear left of the vehicle and is fairly quiet. Usually only hear it early in the morning on the way to work, with the exception of when I enter my own drive way (It's a fairly steep curb). Again, even when I can hear it during the day, I have to be listening for it.

As far as I can tell (after inspecting under/around the vehicle), it's a general noise & the Civics aren't the best at drowning out outside noise.

Anyone else get the same thing? Is it a general noise that I should just ignore? Or could it be something else?\

Cheers .

And yes, I'm sensitive to all the noises my car makes, call me paranoid.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    It is very common on civics - can be any of the rear trailing arm or control arm bushes, figuring out which one it is isn't always easy.

You can start by using a spray lubricant on each bush and joint individually and when the sound stops it will tell you that the last position sprayed was the culprit.

So what you do is, spray one bush, drive car, listen for noise - noise still there, spray next bush, repeat until noise goes.

Sometimes this noise can come from shock top mounts too, but its easier to start with the bushes on the arms
    OHSC

Member Array
    Car:
    97 EK Civic
    Good tip, I just bought some lithium grease spray, will give that a shot.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    You got coilovers or stiff springs?

This will exaggerate the problem.
    to see all of my build, checkout

I think I have this problem too. Ever since I reinstalled my coilovers. Often happens when I drive slow/reserve out of drive ways etc. Can't really explain the noise it makes but it sounds a bit like rubbing.. but not really rubbing? :\ My coils are on stiffest settings..

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    If your coilovers are on the stiffest settings the creak you are hearing is probably from the chassis flexing and the panels moving around....

You'd be surprised how common this is!
    OHSC

Hmmm, so what if I put my settings on softest and I still hear it? Sound I be worried? Because sometimes when I'm slowing down at a traffic light about to get to a stop, I hear it and makes me wonder if other cars with their windows down can hear it and think 'wtf' lol. But if this is normal, then phew.. thought it was something I did wrong when I reinstalled them. Been driving like this for about 3 months now.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    If you put it on full soft and still hear it, its probably your bushes.

You have to remember these cars are designed for commuting with soft springs and dampers to mask all the movement...when you fit firm dampers all the torsional load is transferred in to the car body and the bushes are subject to much higher peak loads.
    OHSC

Is it a bad thing if it's my bushes? Is that a problem?

And is that a bad thing too if I'm making the bushes 'subjected to much higher peak loads'? Sorry, noob at this stuff. I need to know this stuff lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    None of it is essentally good, but its not a terrible life ending thing right now...lol

Important thing is to keep regular maintenance up to the car and keep an eye on things, if you (or your mechanic) notice obvious wear on components then you will have to change...
    OHSC

Ohhh ok, I'll keep note of that and tell the dealer to check for me and stuff when I get it in for the 30,000km service because I don't think I know where to look lol. Thank you!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CIVIC
    No probs, your car is still pretty new, so there shouldn't be any issues at the moment
    OHSC