Thread: b16a cams

b16a cams

hey just wondering do you need to do vavletrain mods to run buddyclub III cams? i know the factory b16 valvetrain is good for 9000rpm but with the bigger lobes and such will i need upgrades?

I have fuk all knowledge, but being the internet mechanic that I am, i would say upgrade the springs and retainers.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 ED9 CRX
    Factory b16a valvetrain is not good for 9000 rpms. You must up grade atleast your valvesprings or else you will most likely bend a valve and cause big engine damage.
    Last edited by gen2 CRX; 25-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Supertech Dual Valve Springs. Are the cams Spec 3 or Spec 3+? Spec 3 can run ITR valve train, 3+ is recommended you go further.

Also, dont forget valve adjustment whenever changing cams.
    Last edited by infurNOS; 25-05-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMotorB16a View Post
    hey just wondering do you need to do vavletrain mods to run buddyclub III cams? i know the factory b16 valvetrain is good for 9000rpm but with the bigger lobes and such will i need upgrades?
    There is NO need to increase your Rev Limit if your engine doesn't make power out that far.
    You won't know until you Dynotune it.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Judging from this Link...

The power tapers off ~8k... So no point trying to push it further =|

It's apparently a direct bolt-on?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Are you going to DIY the cams?

If not then you should get some advice from your engine builder or tuner. Otherwise email Buddy Club and ask them what they think - they will probably suggest upgrading your springs and retainers to heavy duty springs and titanium retainers which are lighter and put less stress on the valvetrain setup.

Not necessary, but highly recommended, especially if you're going to be chasing higher RPM (which is kinda mandatory given that more aggressive camshafts make power higher in the RPM).