Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    U cant really feel where my vtec hits (SOHC d16) but f*ck, u can EASILY see it on a dyno. I say if u think u have got problems, invest in a $~60 dyno run and get some numbers down as a base. Then go from there..
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    With my B16A you don't feel any great kick other than the steering wheel kick (yep - torque steer even with equal length driveshafts - but not too bad). I wonder if your mechanic friend actually knows much about Hondas The point of VTEC is to maintain a linear torque curve while producing reasonable bottom end followed by strong top end. It's NOT a turbo if he was looking for that effect :P
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Setanta
    (yep - torque steer even with equal length driveshafts - but not too bad).
    Really?
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    I would also like for you to explain "equal length drive shafts" Setanta....

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    From the EE8 (European EF8 SiR - same design as the EF9) VTEC supplement. The EE8 and EE9 were simply JDM dies in LHD and RHD configuration that were built in Europe. The only difference is that their B16As only produced 150bhp and they ran slightly different interior trim. The description is spot on for my EF9:

"An Intermediate shaft is used between the differential unit and the left-hand driveshaft to allow right- and left-hand driveshafts of the same length. Since the left end of the intermediate shaft is at the same level as the differential unit, the joint angles of the right and left wheels are the same and noise and vibration are reduced as well as less torque steer is generated."

Even so, on VTEC activation under WOT the front wheels do pull to one side. Often it has to do with the road as well, but the car while nowhere near as much of a handful as others I've owned, does bump around.

The SiR was the first gen of VTEC built cars (along with the XSi) and there isn't too much that is as refined as an EK VTiR.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

also make sure that your power chip gold hasnt lost it settings..
    Remember its only a piggy-back ecu system.. So when you disconnect your battery, it may have lost it setting..

Just my 2 cents..

Newcomer Array
    I wonder if your power chip has got anything to do with it...

Has your car been dyno tuned or just chipped and hoped for the best?

Newcomer Array
    Sorry guys the car runs well, chopped a couple of commodores (V6's not V8's), its just the sound when VTEC kicks in, its not as loud as my friends civic vtir..

Newcomer Array
    How do i check the settings of the power chip?
    what does the VTEC solenoid do? and can it be changed?

Newcomer Array
    When I got the car it already had the chip in it, don't know if it was dyno tuned - how much would it cost to dyno tune my car?

really depends on the company. chiptorque here do it for $150 per hour
    フジタエンジニアリング

Member Array
    Car:
    Forced Induction
    If you've increased power with the mods listed, what you've done is "smoothen" the VTEC transition across the entire powerband. Instead of feeling the "kick", you gain more power by having the powerband smooth out.

Wynode edit: Black text only thanks