Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Ek honda civic hatch
    i dont like having the oil take 15min to get up to temp while the water gets up to temp in 5 or less. thermostat or not, the oil wont heat up at the same speed as the water unless you have the oem honda part on there.

i have this situation at the moment, and i dont like it, i also need an oil cooler to get the temps down, and without a thermo for the oil cooler, its gunna take forever to get oil temps up..

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    So correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the whole point of multi-grade oils? If cold, it still circulates as it should. Of course, common sense dictates that you don't thrash the car till the oil warms up properly.

Another thought - location is also important. On my MX5, I've mounted my oil cooler between the firewall and the windscreen. That's a pressure area so there's a lot of air movement there at speed. I haven't fitted a temp guage yet but my guess is that if I keep the speeds reasonable till the car warms up, there's not going to be a whole lot of air movement there. However when I belt it, there'll be enough air movement to help cool the oil.

The setup I have on the MX5 is a blanking plate with 2 connections for sensors so you can get temp before cooler and temp after cooler. I've also got a filter relocator in between the cooler which makes changing the filter a cinch.

Not so familiar with the Integra setup yet - but from glancing through this thread...it's water/heat exchanger?! Anyway, I'll be under there soon to check out what I can/need to do.

If you do want a thermostat, Revolution Racegear sell an inline unit for about $150.