Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: buying an S2000

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    but 99% are all trashed/been in a big accident etc etc. and if they're not, they're over priced lol

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu View Post
    @ hawkeye2jz: out of curiosity, does your wife intend to drive with the roof down much? As a girl, I feel it's a bit unsafe sometimes cause what if someone jumps in the passenger seat and hijacks you and your car?! But I guess that could happen whether you're a girl or a guy. One thing tho, you do have to keep your handbag in the boot if you're traveling with the roof down lol tough life..
    Socket wrench in the side compartment

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu View Post
    There's so much more cars for sale in NSW n VIC!!!

Haha yeah might hard top it later on, when the novelty of a convertible wears off =]
    Heaps of people have them here in Sydney hard to find a decent one ,,

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    I'm having trouble finding one I like

test drove another one today which drove well and the paint was... okay, but the seats were worn out and the shocks were squeeking

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    dont forget it is a 12 year old car in most cases so finding one that ticks all boxes will be very difficult to come by. more likely than not there will be some minor issues that require a bit of attention, the challenge is finding a car with the smallest amount and least serious issues. what colour are u after dylaan?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    I'm after one in black, silver or maybe white. I've only looked at two so far but they looked far better in the pictures than they did in person.

I've got a 1996 R33 GTS-T at the moment which is older than the S2000s but in much better condition than I've seen so far, I'm just hoping that one will pop up that lives up to my expectations.

I looked at a black one today with red interior and it was definitely better than the silver one I looked at yesterday, the engine ran well and the gearbox was nice and smooth, but as I said before, the seats were fairly worn out and the shocks seemed to also be on the way out. I'm pretty fussy so it may take a while. The one I looked at today could be good if it had the seats replaced and new shocks/coilovers but factoring that into the price it comes to more than I would like to spend at the moment.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    I'm also not sure of how many kms is too high for an s2000, both of the ones I've looked at have been around 130,000. There are a couple with kms around 170,000 I wouldn't mind looking at because they look quite nice still and are well priced. I suppose it all depends on how well the car has been looked after. I've had two Honda Preludes before and they ran perfectly well with 180,000+ on the clock.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    you could always use that as a bargaining tool against the seller? find the best leverage points and exploit the shit out of them lol. if the seller is really keen to sell, it is likely they will cave in one way or another.

yeah of course there will be some in great condition, but probably not up for sale =P

edit: and yeah in response the k's, honestly it doesn't matter as long as its been well taken care of and driven properly (including a bit of hard pushing). i guess if ur really keen on one do the compression checks and other mechanical checks and if those check out fine, there's some peace of mind

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    yeah I was trying to leverage the fact that this black one needed new seats and new shocks (I hope it wasn't going to be a dodgey road worthy where they would skip the shocks). They had it advertised at 22k and said they wouldn't go any lower than 21k. Personally I don't really think I would pay more than 20k for it because it needed some work, but it has been for sale for a long time and they said there was no other real interest... I guess they weren't too keen to sell it. Might try them again in a few weeks if I haven't found anything better.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylaan View Post
    yeah I was trying to leverage the fact that this black one needed new seats and new shocks (I hope it wasn't going to be a dodgey road worthy where they would skip the shocks). They had it advertised at 22k and said they wouldn't go any lower than 21k. Personally I don't really think I would pay more than 20k for it because it needed some work, but it has been for sale for a long time and they said there was no other real interest... I guess they weren't too keen to sell it. Might try them again in a few weeks if I haven't found anything better.

There is only about 4% difference between 20k and 21k so just leave your offer and contact details with them. If he hasn't had much interest, he'll probably come crawling back in a couple of weeks lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Yeah I know, I'm going to look at another 2 or 3 this week so if I don't find anything I like I might try renegotiate with him.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2006 DC5 Type S
    State roads did a very ordinary job on the car that I bought a few years back. Not one to rip on groups - just sharing my experience. They missed some damage to the rear of the car that had not been fixed properly - the dealer found it after I had purchased the car following their advice....

Best to get a mechanic to get it up on a hoist and give it a good go over.