Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions and help please

Hi, Friend of mine has got 2x12" Kicker comps in a professionally built box. Same as the one in the pic. It is running off a cadence va-300 amp. I know this is a tiny and shocking because it doesnt pump as much as it should so i know the amp has got something to do with it lol so thats why im asking yous for opinions of a good amp, but not very expensive. Also I think they sound not very bassy mayb because the box is sealed and needs to be ported. So could yous also give your opions if the box should be left sealed or should it be ported.

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    going merry
    Ported box needs less power for it to sound louder but bass comes out looser. So in the end is down to personal preference whether u want it ported or sealed.

I'm using those amp from jaycar, havent had any problems with them and they were only $300 i think, pumps out 100w per channel times 4, bridgeable to 380w @ 4ohms. Not sure how these go up against branded amps but I'm happy with mine so far. The older series went pretty well tho.

Thanks dude. Il tell him all that. I think he wants to get close to maximum bass from his subs, with a deep bass that makes everything shake and vibrate lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    #28R
    if your friend just wants outright loud bass then ported would be the go, careful that the port length is right or he may blow his subs.
    ...the return of

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    the Cadence VA300 is not sufficient enuff at all to power the Kicker Comp 12"... especially 2 of them...

get a new amp, a monoblock (assuming that the subs are 4 Ohm) and that'll power them alot betta than

wat they are sounding like at the moment.. Ported boxes will make the sound louder and deeper...

all depends on wat music u listen to... good luck!
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    Golf GTI
    not sure what the power rating of your subs are, but in comparison i have a kicker 12" CVR in a sealed box, running off a kicker400.1 (400wrms mono block) and it sounds nice. You could try running this amp with your subs, they are about $400. Alternativly a 600.1 would be better, if your subs are rated at more than 200wrms each(600.1 is $550-600, and this is just the kicker range). A slightly cheaper option is the jaycar 2 channel amp which produces 350 (or 450, can't remember)wrms bridged,into 4 ohm. And grab a capacitor for good measure, and use 4guage power cable and your bass is sure to improve. And if budget is still there, a good battery like optima or oddyse

Hope this helps
    cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    You wouldnt need a capacitor or new battery to run the Kicker Comps. It would help but not necessary.

A Mono Block like the KX600.1 would be good for it but is pretty expensive but there are others in

the market which are cheaper. Try Coustic or Cadence Monoblock amplifiers, either the Coustic AMP800DB

or the Cadence Z1000HC which are both Monoblock amplifiers around the $400-$500 range.

Remember not to stinge on the Amplifier, it is more crutial than your subs.
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

dont enclosure boxes gives out better sound?

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    Quote Originally Posted by ITRboi
    dont enclosure boxes gives out better sound?
    wat do you mean by enclosure boxes?...
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    #28R
    i think he means sealed boxes... and yes they give better quality of bass, tighter punchier BASS.
    ...the return of

Member Array
    Car:
    BLZ-ARW001
    yes, definitely sealed boxes give tighter and punchier bass - suitable for techno, trance, house etc.

ported boxes - suitable for rnb, hiphop and gangster rap
    arrowz
    blz-arw001

OTO-KREW

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Accord VTi
    it also depends on the sub...

some subs are designed for sealed and sound like ass in a ported box

and vice versa..