Thread: Cams?!

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek hatch b18c7
    160kw or Hp?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    For the money you will spend VS the kw you want to make, a head build is not worth it. Just stick a Full Race GT3076R turbo kit on it with S300 & fuel system. Instant 220kw+ with only 6-8psi
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek hatch b18c7
    P plater.....

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    I think an important piece of information here is that you can't just whack a set of cams on and tune hoping for 25kw+ gains.

if we're talking peak power, 15kw on a stock engine is more of a reasonable high goal.

but that's beside my point here. certain cams (generally the ones with higher lift) require supporting modifications (I/H/E) and higher compression to get the kind of performance the cams were designed to give. sure, you could throw a set of buddyclub spec V's or brian crower stage 3's in a stock B18c7 and tune it and it WILL work, but 9 times out of ten the power gains will be small and the usable power will be up high.

there was a thread on here where a guy had a fully built head on his B16a2 with Brian Crower stage 3's and was asking why it was only making around 90-100kw despite the big cams.

this is why "drop in cams" are available. such as Skunk2 tuner 1's, buddyclub spec III+. they can be used on the stock engine with a tune to bring up the performance of your relatively stock engine without losing low/mid range power and getting a lousy powerband.

dyno figures are one thing, but usable power in whatever environment you generally drive in is another. I suggest you take EKVTIR-T's advice and read through that thread he linked you to, it will give you an idea of what power you can expect from different setups. asking people "what cams guys" will get you everyone's different individual opinion on a worthy set of cams and if you just take their advice without doing research you may end up down the wrong path..
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015